Doug Scherer

Van Staal vs Penn

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

why Van Staal when I’m not out often beating up my equipment? 
I hear VS crank requires a little effort. Slow retrieve but that gives more power. 
Can anyone compare a VSX2 200 bailess vs Penn Slammer IV 5500 bailess?

you may say there’s no comparison but why?

TY!

If you are not out there often beating on your reel than you don't need a VS. Go with the Penn. It holds plenty of line and has enough power. But why not a Daiwa BG then? Also, a slower retrieve is an advantage. 

The Penn slammer is a quality reel. I think you'll be happy with it. I like my van staal's but you can get 2 penn's for the price of 1 vs. My slammer was submerged once, opened it up and not a drop of water got in. I wouldn't reel it underwater.

Vsx 200 all day , my anti reverse went over the summer and I kept fishing fishing my staal for another month and a half before I finally had to get it serviced , it started leaking oil one night. I bought the Bailess slammer 5500 as a backup to use and hated it , the size is big and clunky , just about every cast I would end up with wind knots or losing 100 plus yards of braid . Don’t get me wrong the 5500 slammer is a beast of a reel but it’s not the same as a vsx 

I think if you have to ask then you dont need a vs ! My take on the vs is its one of the best reels made has nothing to do with beating it up has to do with a very well engineered simple reel no plastic parts all quality materials , they are not hard to reel like people think they are very smooth , not stella smooth but smooth ! The slammer is a good reel also has great drag very smooth nice reel for the money!

9 hours ago, Doug Scherer said:

why Van Staal when I’m not out often beating up my equipment? 
I hear VS crank requires a little effort. Slow retrieve but that gives more power. 
Can anyone compare a VSX2 200 bailess vs Penn Slammer IV 5500 bailess?

you may say there’s no comparison but why?

TY!

My opinion is you cannot compare the 2. They are not the same tool at all.

Vs made with all quality parts and I'm not a fan of penn at all.

But just buy what your happy with.

For me Penn is the way to go may it be a rod or a reel.. Dollar for dollar they manufacture the best equipment and provide the best and the quickest service.. I have been using Penn equipment for the last sixty five year and still have a lot of my original equipment..

Penn makes a quality reel. Have some that are 40+ years old.

If you fish a couple dozen times a year it will be fine for what you do.

If you fish 130+ trips a year you will want the VS. 

No comparison for me, VS

Just now, LowEnd said:

Penn makes a quality reel. Have some that are 40+ years old.

If you fish a couple dozen times a year it will be fine for what you do.

If you fish 130+ trips a year you will want the VS. 

No comparison for me, VS

You nailed it right there , i fish well over 200 trips a year i use vs reels and never had a issue ! Penn makes good reels but the newer ones i dont think would hold up to that much use

Take a close look at a VR, best of both worlds...Van Staal engineering and quality, as smooth as the Penn, priced in between the two. 

I used the new Penn Slammer IV DX for the second half of this past season. It is a little more bullet proof than the standard slammer. You could look at that. 

I swam with it on more than one occasion and it held up fine with no issues. But I didn’t reel it under water ever. I don’t think it would stand up to a lot of serious abuse like that over the long run so I plan to replace it with the new VS for the upcoming season. But anyway I fished the slammer on 40-50 trips and it held up great. If you’re not logging serious hours it would probably be fine.

7 hours ago, BDigital said:

If you are not out there often beating on your reel than you don't need a VS. Go with the Penn. It holds plenty of line and has enough power. But why not a Daiwa BG then? Also, a slower retrieve is an advantage. 

I think a good progression is to fish the Penn, if it doesn’t hold up after two years you get the VS.  

But I really came here to say slower retrieve is not an advantage…. It COULD be an advantage depending on what you’re looking for.  Try fishing for albies all day with a VS and you’ll know what I mean.  Different gear ratios for different applications 

Ive always regretted buying things that i didnt really want to save a buck 

i always ended up eventually buying what i actually wanted and the first purchase was wasted money 

but once cry once 

look at the VR series as mentioned above 

Edited by Joe Paranee

Ita not about beating up your equipment,  but how you fish. If you have a few light dunks and try to keep your reel above the water and never crank it underwater, then  the penn slammer is great. Now if you're in a wetsuit and  waders and almost chest  to stomach deep and your reel is constantly underwater and reeling underwater then the van staal VSX, VSXgen 2 or Zeebass is the reel for you.