Detcher

Danny plugs

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I'm having a hard time casting my Danny plug. Seams as though 8 out of ten cast the leader gets hung up either on the lip or the front hook. I use a 40lb. test leader and a TA clip. 

Any suggestions on how to combat this from happening. Thank you

Metal lips are notorious for relatively sloppy airtime travel. One thing I’ve found that helps on danny plugs that tangle as you described is to slow my cast a little and get my line on the roller just before the plug hits the water. Tail-weighted danny plugs also seem to cast a little flatter without as much tangle midair. 

-Lob plug rather than cast

-grab the line and stop plug before it hits then water

-use a moderate action rod rather than a fast action one

Some Danny's inherently cast better than others, as Steve said try lobbing the plug and not casting like a pencil or needle.

My winter project is to cut all hooks and eliminate split rings when I can. Obviously only advisable with swivel hook attachments. I’m hoping eliminating a little length on hooks may help. Also, does anyone know a brand or model of shorter shank hooks?

I think it depends a bit on the plug as others mentioned. I don’t have a huge collection but out of the ones I own Striper Maineiac metal lips cast pretty well all things considered. Maybe try a couple of different builders. 

Posted (edited)

Very well explained @VanStaalSteve and others. It definitely depends on the plug, given different metal lip styles and physical dimensions/weights, they all have different behaviors throughout the duration of the cast. I agree with VanStaalSteve, a lob is much more preferred instead of a more forceful "whip" of the rod, for lack of a better term. I can also attest that a more moderate rod is ideal compared to a faster action but we all have our preferences. I've fished a number of the different metal lips from different builders, including those more popular builders, and to some capacity, they are not 100% tangle-free but some do cast better than others when it comes to "tangle-free" consistency. If I had to choose from plugs I regularly fish that are weighted the best for "tangle-free" casting, it would be Rui's 6.5" surface danny or a Mike's fattail/bullet (Fixter cigar is close 2nd). They cast flatter than most and from my own experience, do not tangle as frequently as other plugs I have in my bag. 401 Plugs also makes a donny that is tail-weighted and casts flat, I've had the pleasure of testing these early on and the tail weights really change the castability. Ultimately, and more often than not, you'll find yourself adjusting your cast to suit the plugs the fish want rather than filling your bag with plugs that you'd prefer to throw just to avoid tangles (at least that's my logic).

Edited by sikcrodbends

Posted (edited)

I love danny plugs and have taken some really nice bass on them over the years. However, as of late, I have discovered the eel skinned Super Strike popper, black eye model,size 2 3/8 oz. Reeled slowly it will swim alluringly on or near the surface very much like a danny. It also casts very well and will therefore cover lots more water than any danny made. Plus, it doesn't hang up on a cast like a danny. 

D843DD14-0E22-45FB-A635-E14C5812771A.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

17 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I love danny plugs and have taken some really nice bass on them over the years. However, as of late, I have discovered the eel skinned Super Strike popper, black eye model,size 2 3/8 oz. Reeled slowly it will swim alluringly on or near the surface very much like a danny. It also casts very well and will therefore cover lots more water than any danny made. Plus, it doesn't hang up on a cast like a danny. 

Never tried these with an eelskin but the slow retrieve is almost my preferred method with these poppers. Especially when fish are not as aggressive to feed. 

Just now, sikcrodbends said:

Never tried these with an eelskin but the slow retrieve is almost my preferred method with these poppers. Especially when fish are not as aggressive to feed. 

Yes, when reeled (very) slowly this pooper has a great side to side, "danny"type action. The added eel skin only enhances the action and desirability. And, I hate to admit, this hybrid plug catches better than any danny I've ever used.

3 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Good stuff, Steve! :th: