Fishing vs. Driving vs. Walking - Time Spent on the Water

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm interested to hear about people's breakdown of time spent:

a) driving along the coast looking for acton

b) walking on the beach looking for fish

c) actually casting

Once I'm geared up, I almost never spend time driving up and down the coast. Usually I'll pick a stretch of beach 3 miles or so and commit. I did recently hear of some action, drove to it, only to have dead sea, and felt I could've spent that time casting / walking the beach

Going Jetty to Jetty (.25 miles in moco) takes about 50% of the time I have on the water. I try to keep the other 50% actually casting.

What's your normal day look like?

1 hour ago, imdannoir said:

Hello everyone,

c) actually casting

Once I'm geared up, I almost never spend time driving up and down the coast. Usually I'll pick a stretch of beach 3 miles or so and commit. I did recently hear of some action, drove to it, only to have dead sea, and felt I could've spent that time casting / walking the beach

Going Jetty to Jetty (.25 miles in moco) takes about 50% of the time I have on the water. I try to keep the other 50% actually casting.

Absolutely 100% depends on many things:

What season is it, how early or late in such, what I've been catching(or not) all factor in to me. If I'm on something repeatable where I am at, why drive? If I can repeat it in other towns if that bite stops where I'm at, why not drive? If my structure dries up and can't figure it out why not drive and look for activity. There's a lot of "these" above I can come up with.

I'm starting to develop my own style. I love it when it's go to spot A and don't leave. Or go to spot A and B and fish hard "I know I'll run into them. Some nights I bounce around too much but sometimes that puts me on fish as well. Go with the flow...

I'm constantly developing this. Each season has been different for me. I really think it depends... cliche sorry... on YOU! Some just want to sit on a bucket and chill while they fish too. Keep going and keep listening to the fish and what's working for ya

Happy Thanksgiving!

I start by picking the spots in whichever section of whichever county that are closest drive time. Fifteen minutes closer is 30 minutes of fishing versus driving. 

If I’m going to fish overnight, then I’ll just go to a spot & start bouncing S or N depending where I started. But I leave the first location reluctantly because I see the drive time between spots as a complete waste. (I can safely keep my belt, surf bag & pouch on while sitting in the driver’s seat.)

I should defer to other more productive guys for the “on the beach” habits.

This time of year, with the bite as good as it is, i will drive to one spot and look around, then decide if i wanna drive north or south. I do all the driving with my waders on, its a huge waste of time to get dressed and undressed at every spot and my truck is full of sand already. I'll drive a stretch of the shore either watching the water directly or parking and walking over the dunes. Movement is key IMO and if i can drive several miles of beach looking for bait and birds before stopping at a spot that looks good, thats very helpful.

10 hours ago, imdannoir said:

Hello everyone,

c) actually casting

A: 15%
B: 15%
C: 80%
This is strictly blitz fishing numbers.
Looking for the blitz is short windows of madness.  
  Don’t chase other guys bites either.  Make your own.  Many folks like to give false reports to get you running around.    Learn to fish alone and be content with the isolation.  It will make you better without a doubt.  Happy thanksgiving!
RC

14 hours ago, imdannoir said:

Hello everyone,

c) actually casting

As others have said. Season matters and time of day matters.  For example. In the fall daytime it’s a waste in my opinion to go fish an area without signs of life and don’t walk too far from car. You gotta be mobile. Birds are your friends.  

Posted (edited)

I also leave the house dressed. I live close.  There’s some days in the fall I drive around for hours and do not get out of car.  

I don’t need casting practice.  

Edited by Goldy

Posted (edited)

I'm fortunate to live close to water so not much driving. One thing I rarely do is change my 10 to 12 mile radius of spots. I know my areas pretty well and will stubbornly fish them even if things are goin on in another county.

In terms of walking, man I walk like a son of a b*tch especially out front. Once I park I might go 2 miles in either direction and eventually have to make another 2 mile walk back to the car which really sucks. 

Casting wise...  never been a huge fan of standing and staring. Granted I cast much less now cuz of elbow issues but if I'm down there I'm throwing. Yesterday a good example, guys walking off when i was gettin on, no birds visible. Still made a few blind casts and found fish almost immediately. Always worth a try. You can tell pretty quick when things are dead, than I'll hold my casts for another area. 

I think u can help yourself with asking these questions,  are u looking for an insane bite, blitz like conditions,  40 fish?? Or, u lookin to pick off a few and hang out. If it's the blitz u want, Yeh u gotta move a bit more to put yourself in prime position..if it's just gettin a few, stay put. 

Edited by joefishnj21

48 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

I'm fortunate to live close to water so not much driving. One thing I rarely do is change my 10 to 12 mile radius of spots. I know my areas pretty well and will stubbornly fish them even if things are goin on in another county.

In terms of walking, man I walk like a son of a b*tch especially out front. Once I park I might go 2 miles in either direction and eventually have to make another 2 mile walk back to the car which really sucks. 

Casting wise...  never been a huge fan of standing and staring. Granted I cast much less now cuz of elbow issues but if I'm down there I'm throwing. Yesterday a good example, guys walking off when i was gettin on, no birds visible. Still made a few blind casts and found fish almost immediately. Always worth a try. You can tell pretty quick when things are dead, than I'll hold my casts for another area. 

I think u can help yourself with asking these questions,  are u looking for an insane bite, blitz like conditions,  40 fish?? Or, u lookin to pick off a few and hang out. If it's the blitz u want, Yeh u gotta move a bit more to put yourself in prime position..if it's just gettin a few, stay put. 

Amen.

Besides, I have chased like a nutcase and still come up empty many times. 

Happy Thanksgiving 

I usually fish the same stretch.   I used to chase birds and drive miles then realized how much time i spent driving vs fishing.  Gas is expensive.  I also dont catch anywhere like some of these seasoned guys so the few stripes i get a year, driving or not are usually in the same spots so i found it a waste of time to drive blindly.     Actually the surf cams help you figure out if action is north or south or dead then ill pick a spot in that direction.  To be honest though. I have fished plenty of dead looking spots just because i wanted to fish there and got surprised by the action.    If i have time and im totally dead i might decide to try a spot way northmor south of it and and stop along the way there.  Mostly  Id rather be casting into an empty ocean than emptying my tank.