gellfex

Depot Makita 'hack': two 18v 5mah batteries and double charger for $32!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Apparently these hacks have been a thing for a while, there's YT vids on it, but I didn't know until someone on another site tipped me. This is just one variation. I ordered for pickup a 36V worm screw saw for $259, it came with the double charger and 2 batteries, along with a bonus of 2 more batteries. The trick is to designate 2 different stores for pickup and never pick up the batteries! After 5 days they credit you back $125 for them. Now I have the saw, batteries & charger for $136. But I don't need a badass cordless circ saw, just the batteries. I sold it on Craigslist for $110, making the net $32.58 including tax for the charger and batteries.

I honestly can't believe it worked, I didn't sell the saw till the credit posted. Crazy, no? I'd feel a little bad if I didn't believe those batteries are insanely overpriced, like inkjet cartridges. One of those ala carte is $179 at HD. They want to play games, so will I.

On November 22, 2022 at 7:28 PM, gellfex said:

Apparently these hacks have been a thing for a while, there's YT vids on it, but I didn't know until someone on another site tipped me. This is just one variation. I ordered for pickup a 36V worm screw saw for $259, it came with the double charger and 2 batteries, along with a bonus of 2 more batteries. The trick is to designate 2 different stores for pickup and never pick up the batteries! After 5 days they credit you back $125 for them. Now I have the saw, batteries & charger for $136. But I don't need a badass cordless circ saw, just the batteries. I sold it on Craigslist for $110, making the net $32.58 including tax for the charger and batteries.

I honestly can't believe it worked, I didn't sell the saw till the credit posted. Crazy, no? I'd feel a little bad if I didn't believe those batteries are insanely overpriced, like inkjet cartridges. One of those ala carte is $179 at HD. They want to play games, so will I.

Seems like a lot of work to swindle a store ,I've never been a firm believer in battery skill saws ,but I'm quite impressed with this 36v Makita saw for 300 bucks you get a new saw and 4  5ah  batteries with a double charging station with no guilt.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:28 PM, gellfex said:

Why do you think the batteries are so expensive? Cause hacks.

Ya, it's been a good while hack for HD deals. It use to be shipping for the item you want and send the other half to the store. But they stopped that at some point with 2 different store hack working (if they are available).

Posted (edited)

Seems pretty dishonest thing for some batteries! Have you ever bought the rebuilt after market battery s from Amazon? They last longer than the original s at a fraction of the cost both Milwaukee and Dewalt! Also do you think HD sets the price on the batteries? Well they dont the supplier does . So HD takes the hit for some hack , 

Edited by shark lobster

6 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Seems pretty dishonest thing for some batteries! Have you ever bought the rebuilt after market battery s from Amazon? They last longer than the original s at a fraction of the cost both Milwaukee and Dewalt! Also do you think HD sets the price on the batteries? Well they dont the supplier does . So HD takes the hit for some hack , 

On the aftermarket batteries do you send in the old ones?

Posted (edited)

Congratulations to those of you who have such easy and lucrative jobs that spending 10 minutes posting a CL ad seems like too much work to save 2-3 hundred dollars. Your life is good! At least I'm not one of the idiots who camps out thanksgiving night in front of a store to get Black Friday deals.

As for the 'moral' position, this 'hack' is perfectly legal and has been going on for years, HD & Makita clearly don't care enough to stop it, which backs up my perception that the stuff is overpriced. It's like VISA & MC not caring much about serious fraud prevention because they make so much on interest the fraud is a rounding error.

Edited by gellfex

25 mins ago, gellfex said:

Congratulations to those of you who have such easy and lucrative jobs that spending 10 minutes posting a CL ad seems like too much work to save 2-3 hundred dollars. Your life is good! At least I'm not one of the idiots who camps out thanksgiving night in front of a store to get Black Friday deals.

As for the 'moral' position, this 'hack' is perfectly legal and has been going on for years, HD & Makita clearly don't care enough to stop it, which backs up my perception that the stuff is overpriced. It's like VISA & MC not caring much about serious fraud prevention because they make so much on interest the fraud is a rounding error.

Great role model for our fellow DIYer's class act.

Posted (edited)

If you think Makita batteries are over priced your tripping you get what you pay for I've had a set of Makita 3 ah 18 v batteries for the past 14 years used weekly and still function perfectly.  I get 4 batteries 

and a nice saw for roof tops when using a chord sucks. That's a $150.00 tool with four batteries and a charging station for under $300.00  That's 37.50 per battery without the charger. Great deal if you ask me.

Edited by J Adams

5 hours ago, z-man said:

That seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a couple of batteries. 

Not just batteries. Some tool combos can be done with this methods too. Depends on the deal, when the price splits up between both items can make it a good deal. Like tools can be 50% off when the battery splits up much higher than retail price or vise versa.