bob_G

Bird hunters, any woodcock info

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I speak with my bird hunting buddies almost daily, they're seeing almost no woodcock this season. Hunting experienced dogs, no birds.

One was checked by an EPO yesterday, and the officer specifically asked about his woodcock numbers this season. The EPO said sighting are inexplicably down all over the area.

5 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Geez I guess everything being bone dry throughout the region had anything to do with it. 

I think this is it. 

I've seen them, but only areas that held water all summer/fall. 

My specific area is very moist. Even the height of the drought, my lawn and yard was green with no watering.  Lots of underground water here. 

Bugs all summer. Took a trip to the North Shore, no water no bugs. 

Not a bird hunter, but i at least heard quite a few in the spring in my area and also around the chu. Have no idea what kind of numbers this translates to or whether they are there in huntable numbers.

52 mins ago, bdowning said:

Not a bird hunter, but i at least heard quite a few in the spring in my area and also around the chu. Have no idea what kind of numbers this translates to or whether they are there in huntable numbers.

Agreed.

Woodcock are definitely nesting reasonably well in Ma. The birders gather every spring to hear them peent in their breeding dance. The groups are full of pics. You can find them almost anywhere the habitat is right.

In my travels throughout spring and summer I flushed several, always in wet areas.

I did flush one in the fall after the drought that I assumed was a migrant. It was in an area that is normally wet but had been dry for months. 

I don't think any of that answers the question. I don't know what the state of the migrants are this year. I will be seeing some Maine bird hunters this weekend. I'll ask them.

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

The EPO said sighting are inexplicably down all over the area.

You can add Maine to the drop in population.  By this time of year, I've flushed at least 6 working in my yard/walking the neighborhood.  This year I haven't seen a one!

Saw a bunch bird hunting early in the season on the Cape. First couple of weeks we saw them almost every morning at Crane (pheasant area) and then they dissapered. Never got a good point or shot at one just flushing wild. We did get a shot at a couple in the quail area but no take downs.

7 hours ago, PSeggs said:

I think this is it. 

I've seen them, but only areas that held water all summer/fall. 

My specific area is very moist. Even the height of the drought, my lawn and yard was green with no watering.  Lots of underground water here. 

Bugs all summer. Took a trip to the North Shore, no water no bugs. 

I took a quick trip to one brook very close by to see if any birds had visited since the last time . I did find a bit of Chaulk (droppings ) splashed in a number of places . Probably just migrants probably a few days old . I was last there Friday AM. Recent rains most likely had a lot to do with that ,

Sat October 8th I was out with the dog getting him a workout for the following Sat pheasant opener. He pointed 5 woodcock (a couple could've been multiple encounters with the same bird). I thought that was cool, maybe they'd still be around when the season opened.

Duh, I guess I should've read the regs. Season opened Oct. 1st.  :laugh:

My Maine bird hunting family reported one day early season with a flight of woodcock, approximately 8 birds flushed while looking for grouse. None harvested. 

Apparently the rest of their efforts were in northern grouse cover where they wouldn't see many woodcock anyway.

On 11/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, bob_G said:

I speak with my bird hunting buddies almost daily, they're seeing almost no woodcock this season. Hunting experienced dogs, no birds.

One was checked by an EPO yesterday, and the officer specifically asked about his woodcock numbers this season. The EPO said sighting are inexplicably down all over the area.

Bib tons on the vinyard