Joe Paranee

JAPANESE SURF RODS

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

So being a gear junkie I am always looking for different types of kit and recently got bitten by the Zenaq bug 

I have acquired a bunch of their rods from popping and jigging to slow pitch and fresh water bass rods and I really like them 

they make surf rods as well but the Japanese style surf rods are different than what we all grew up using in that they are similar length but have a slightly shorter butt and there is evo grips similar to offshore popping rods 

so today I ordered a Muthos Acura 100H with RG guides and I am anxious to try it 

if you are not familiar with RG guide system the guides are smaller and there are more of them.  What this does is perform better with PE lines by choking the line down and my experiments with a popping rod from Zenaq with this system for an upcoming Panam trip has been impressive. 

one of my favorite surf rod configurations is 10 foot with a weight rating of 1 oz to 4 and this model fits in that range 

Here is a video showing how the rod loads with that range of lures 

I grew up on traditional surf rod configurations so this should be interesting 

have any of you used this style surf rod ? 

If so your thoughts would be interesting 

happy thanksgiving everyone 

When it comes to Japanese fishing gear they're good, they're real good. Traditionally they always try to put convenience, comfort & durability in everything they make

9 mins ago, prican1 said:

When it comes to Japanese fishing gear they're good, they're real good. Traditionally they always try to put convenience, comfort & durability in everything they make

I agree their rods thus far while pricey are extremely well done 

while their surf rods are not conventional the design to me has a lot of merits and details like their forward grip etc feel great in the hand 

AC08EED9-84A4-4AD6-9415-115129907783.jpe

We shall see 

I was gifted an older  Daiwa Lateo Pirate 106M.  10-40g.  Shorter handle and faster action than my other surf rods.  Seems to work fairly well as a schoolie rod.  Paired with a Shimano Stradic 4000FI and 6 or 10 lb Performance braid.  (3 extra spools)  Older models like mine appear to come stock with SIC guides.  First rod I reach for come mid March when schoolie and big perch season overlap.

1 hour ago, Joe Paranee said:

I agree their rods thus far while pricey are extremely well done 

while their surf rods are not conventional the design to me has a lot of merits and details like their forward grip etc feel great in the hand 

AC08EED9-84A4-4AD6-9415-115129907783.jpe

We shall see 

Triangle grips suck....nice for a few minutes...wrist fatigue comes in in short order on big fish.  you don't grip the rod like in the photo shopped picture....   

Scooby The pic i pulled off the website was to show an example of the grip i dont think it was meant to be a real pic 

the actual grip is not a hard triangle 

here is another pic of the grip and i will take one of one of my actual rods tomorrow and post 

18F3361D-E158-49F6-B125-A6E389E1875A.web

Posted (edited)

I fish a Sonio 100M off and on, awesome stick! More off these days cuz my new work horse is a Yamaga Blanks BlueSniper 100M, love this rod due to its lighter weight and a tad faster action. Best part of the “shore rods” is the shorter butt to reel-seat length and most are light as he//. Even with the short butt the things still cast like a cannon!!! 

My entire surf rod line up consist of 11 JP style shore rods. They are the real deal!!!

D3D0044B-5259-4699-8980-41CB3B7C3349.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

OTOH these short-gripped rods offer the casting angler less leverage to load a blank.

OTOH they're too pricey for anyone except prosperous seniors who are feeling their age anyway.

Fair?

Posted (edited)

4 mins ago, BrianBM said:

OTOH these short-gripped rods offer the casting angler less leverage to load a blank.

OTOH they're too pricey for anyone except prosperous seniors who are feeling their age anyway.

Fair?

Funny how I can outcast most guys with these rods… ??? Trust me, they load the blank just fine! These are no Lami or ODM we’re talking about….

Im not a senior, yet…

So, not fair! LOL!!!

Edited by Inshore

Posted (edited)

Most rods are nice throughout alot of brands.

But for me, alot of them are slighter faster action than what i like in personal taste. "Tippy" is a good word for it.  Tippy rods are great for smaller fish registers...

But for us here... Bass and blues, we dont really need to worried about small picky biters. Lol

The mainstream jdm rods works great for  swimmers, jigs, and jigheads.

But for big face poppers, it might lacks a little bit.

Personally i like regular speed actions which is hard really find one with balance of weight to action to durability. 

Edited by EricL

2 mins ago, Inshore said:

Funny how I can outcast most guys with these rods… ??? Trust me, they load the blank just fine! These are no Lami or ODM we’re talking about….

Im not a senior, yet…

So, not fair! LOL!!!

Yeah, sure. Your GF is online saying you might as well be a centenarian.  :)