HarryHood711

ZBelt/Bag Setup

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a Z Belt gen 2 slim belt now and I run a gear up 3 tube along with the usual pliers, knife, etc. Has anyone configured their z belt with a z bag along with your basic utilities plus an additional bucktail/plastics pouch? I love the Z bag but I wish it had more that 4 bt slots so I wouldn’t mind running an additional small pouch. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently own a Z bag and their new single tube. I must say, its my favorite surf bag to date due to its extreme versatility. I too am a bit disappointed in the 4 bucktail slots but the rear pouch area does add for some extra space for some soft plastics and bucktails. My biggest piece of advice for owing this bag is to reach out to some custom divider builders and get some dividers to fit your needs. I've got 2 slot dividers all the way up to 4/5 along with jig/bucktail holders depending on what kind of fishing I'm looking to do. Can also easily get the 3rd tube and stuff it with soft plastic and bucktails. Now for the belt, it gets a bit jammed with the bag plus side pouch and tools from personal experience. Once I realized how to get the most of the bag I use the large slot area for the bag and the smaller side for pliers, grips and dive knife. 

The interesting this with this bag is the addition of a 2" utility belt on the one side. Now I currently have my pork rind holder clipped on there but have also measured out that a small gear up pouch could slide in there as well. But I've scaled down to only the 1 bag plus my tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, HYB_Living said:

Currently own a Z bag and their new single tube. I must say, its my favorite surf bag to date due to its extreme versatility. I too am a bit disappointed in the 4 bucktail slots but the rear pouch area does add for some extra space for some soft plastics and bucktails. My biggest piece of advice for owing this bag is to reach out to some custom divider builders and get some dividers to fit your needs. I've got 2 slot dividers all the way up to 4/5 along with jig/bucktail holders depending on what kind of fishing I'm looking to do. Can also easily get the 3rd tube and stuff it with soft plastic and bucktails. Now for the belt, it gets a bit jammed with the bag plus side pouch and tools from personal experience. Once I realized how to get the most of the bag I use the large slot area for the bag and the smaller side for pliers, grips and dive knife. 

The interesting this with this bag is the addition of a 2" utility belt on the one side. Now I currently have my pork rind holder clipped on there but have also measured out that a small gear up pouch could slide in there as well. But I've scaled down to only the 1 bag plus my tools. 

HYB, appreciate this lengthy reply. Are you saying you think a small gear up pouch could slide on the nibbler part where they show a boga sitting as an example of use? I have some dividers now in my gear up, but I don't love them. There's another maker that appears to make better quality ones so I will be looking into those, also the Z tubes I believe are .5" wider than the gear up, so that helps as well. Was thinking of also using the 3rd side tube as a split tube with a single divider for bucktails on one side, and then put a few minnow style or slimmer plugs on the other side if that would work. I definitely like the idea of slimming my bag down, the 3 tube GU is bulky and I don't love the lack of flexibility, I find it difficult to access the bucktails and the rear pocket is useless imho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe so, now obviously it would stick out a bit but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would reach out the divider maker that Z belt uses for the dividers he sells on his website. He's a local long island guy that I've purchased from before and he has some really neat things on his site that he makes for the Z bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the belt and bag. Ran the bag on the larger span and pliers sheath with a small aquaskinz pouch on the smaller span. Was not a bad set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Gen-1 belt and I was running the ODM Surfwave 2.5 on the left and pliers, boga, and knife of the right side. It's a two-tube bag with side pouched on both sides so lots of room for stuff or a possible 3rd mini tube and its been a great system but... I recently started messing around by using the Z-Belt single tube bag and taking the bucktail pouch off of the ODM bag and just having that for BT's and plastics. Why only a single tube bag... Cause I'm that freaking awesome at fishing... kidding. I found myself using 5 or 6 go-to plugs all the time and the swim shads or bucktails. So why not size down? Really select what I want to throw at the car and have an INSANELY lightweight set-up. The single tube and the BT pouch both fit on the left side, it's crowded but not over-crowded by any means very easy access to both. I also use got-cha grubs as BT trailers not pork rind so I don't need the extra space to carry a jar. I really like this lightweight set-up for day time use. The nightshift gets the "big bag" cause everyone knows you NEED to have every color ever made in there right? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Rat Master said:

I have the Gen-1 belt and I was running the ODM Surfwave 2.5 on the left and pliers, boga, and knife of the right side. It's a two-tube bag with side pouched on both sides so lots of room for stuff or a possible 3rd mini tube and its been a great system but... I recently started messing around by using the Z-Belt single tube bag and taking the bucktail pouch off of the ODM bag and just having that for BT's and plastics. Why only a single tube bag... Cause I'm that freaking awesome at fishing... kidding. I found myself using 5 or 6 go-to plugs all the time and the swim shads or bucktails. So why not size down? Really select what I want to throw at the car and have an INSANELY lightweight set-up. The single tube and the BT pouch both fit on the left side, it's crowded but not over-crowded by any means very easy access to both. I also use got-cha grubs as BT trailers not pork rind so I don't need the extra space to carry a jar. I really like this lightweight set-up for day time use. The nightshift gets the "big bag" cause everyone knows you NEED to have every color ever made in there right? lol

I'm trying to find that happy medium. I really focused a lot this season and think I have found what works for me, including altering my go-to plug selection. I like what you mentioned about moving to the grubs for bucktails, my buddy uses the same and I like it. You can toss a few grubs in the bag if you need extra and eliminate that extra jar. I like the ODM bag too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

I'm trying to find that happy medium. I really focused a lot this season and think I have found what works for me, including altering my go-to plug selection. I like what you mentioned about moving to the grubs for bucktails, my buddy uses the same and I like it. You can toss a few grubs in the bag if you need extra and eliminate that extra jar. I like the ODM bag too..

I love the ODM bag for those bigger objective nights, really getting after it, plugs, camera, water bottle. You can really load the thing up! And the front pouch is rather generous with space. During the day, just strolling the beach where half the time you're throwing a tin with a teaser, I see no need to load up on tons of chit. And the grubs are great man. Killed this past weekend. You just throw them on your bucktails in advance and they don't dry-out, or get all gooey and gross after a long time like fat cow or pork rind. Not to take away from them tho. I do think they are great trailers but for me 90% of the time I don't see the benefit.

Edited by Rat Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do second this set up for certain times of the season. I utilize the z belt single tube with a tactical anglers pouch for soft plastics and bucktails. The belt does get crowded with technically more items on it but by no means overcrowded. It's extremely light and I can walk a beach/jetty for miles without any strain. Most folks on the beach probably wonder how I'm on the beach with such a small array of plugs compared to them but I always revert back to the same lures and if I want the extra space I have my Z bag which is lightweight in itself too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EE4C0BCA-8EB7-450A-96E1-27A0465343E9.jpeg.9c0f4f64dfa143ee25aed70ecbac449d.jpegCool to see someone else interested in Zbelt set ups as it also crossed my mind this season.

Been using the wide Gen2 belt for the last season I ran a small aquaskinz bag that I modified to hold 2 tubes and a aquaskinz pouch and pliers.

I recently picked up a 2 tube Zbelt bag and added Inception tackle dividers in both tubes and works out great. As well as a TA pouch for soft plastics and additional bucktails.

Depending on time of year I add extra 1tube for larger plugs on side.

Belts are great, hold weight and fits body comfortably.

The Zbelt bag I got is the 2 tube, not the 2 tube w water bottle / extra tube on side.

I really like this set up as I tend to over pack, been working on narrowing down what I carry and go as lights as possible and pack what works for me making a 2 tube bag ideal.

I like the extra pocket on the inside back of bag keep a leader wallet in there and the nibbler on front comes in handy when opening bag and swapping lures.  Bag does have limited bucktail slots but besides that no complaints.

All together belt and bag is light, comfortable and fits my fishing style, if you want more freedom as far as moving bags around and more belt space i would go with the Slim version of the belt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up ordering the 2 tube bag with side tube/water bottle holder. Excited to play around with setup options this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.