klisagar

Rod maintenance

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Fops said:

I find that at the end of the season wash all your rods down with a wet cloth or towl with a little dawn dishwasher detergent in it. After wards wipe it down again just with a clean wet cloth or towel. After it's all dried,  I use some pledge and wipe down the rod from top to bottom.  It's a little bit of work,  but your rods will looks brand new and ready for battle for the next season. 

Key words "Ready for Battle"

After posting this topic, I reached out to the manufacturers of my rods - St. Croix and Saltx (Tsunami/Bimini Bay).  Both recommended frequent washing and rinsing. Tsunami actually recommended treating with Pledge. St. Croix did not recommend a specific product but did endorse treating with a cleaning/preserving product.

With the exception of cork, everything your rod is made out of is chemically  inert.  It can sit in your cold garage for 4 months, or 400 years, and nothing will happen to it.

Posted (edited)

47 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

With the exception of cork, everything your rod is made out of is chemically  inert.  It can sit in your cold garage for 4 months, or 400 years, and nothing will happen to it.

I disagree. Keeping an optimum blank finish doesn't take much, however it does require what some have mentioned already. If you don't keep your shoes properly polished, you most likely have no clue what I'm saying. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Terry Mac

On 11/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, Mike said:

You really need to shower with your rods. Use a good shampoo and don't forget to use conditioner. Avoid harsh soaps. 

I do the very same thing, after a session I get home my ride rail goes in the shower and wait for me to get in with it and that's when it gets washed.

HH

On 11/21/2022 at 9:25 PM, MartyK said:

I've been using the same inexpensive Daiwa Sealine X rod for 10 years and I fish about 120 days a season.   I do nothing but soap and water at the end of the season and hang it in an unheated shed.   never had a problem.   I actually have a second one as back up which has sat in the shed for 10 years and looks ready to go.   

Thats all thats needed. The End.