klisagar

Rod maintenance

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I have packed it in for the year and cleaned and stored all my surf fishing tackle.  I do have a question about rod maintenance. During the season while actively fishing, rods and reels get a freshwater rinse after each outing and wiped down with Penn Rod and Reel cleaner every 2 or 3 trips.  At year-end they get the same treatment, but a more thorough cleaning and coating with the Penn R & R cleaner.  What else do folks do to 'winterize' rods for storage?

Lemon Pledge.

Idk why but my dad always did it. The rod was made in 1989 and still going strong so I guess it works.:howdy:

I just rinse with water and let air dry. 
Once it’s too cold to use the hose rods get cleaned in the spring.

Really no need to winterize them. A rinse after every trip is good enough.

2 hours ago, LowEnd said:

I just rinse with water and let air dry. 
Once it’s too cold to use the hose rods get cleaned in the spring.

Really no need to winterize them. A rinse after every trip is good enough.

Couldn't have said it better...what's rod maintenance ?

Hopefully there's still fish around after my outside water is turned off....the pair I use this month will get there "maintenance" in the spring !

Sometime during the winter I’ll wipe down my rods with a damp rag & get rid of any crud (dried seaweed, scales, etc) that regular spray downs may have missed. Ill then dry & give a once over with a reel & gun cloth (a silicone treated rag). It’s also a good idea to inspect your guides for damage. You don’t want any surprises in the spring when you want to start fishing again. It may be obvious but you should remove your reels so you can properly clean the reel seats. 

I will leave the rods out in a good rain dry lemon pledge , hang on ceiling , done . If the handle is smutzed with old bait , a stiff brush when wet … never really had a problem with my rods … the cabellas salt striker is around 12 years old and no issues …all the rods are at least that old if not older … however I don’t put knots thru the guides and don’t dunk my rods 

I've been using the same inexpensive Daiwa Sealine X rod for 10 years and I fish about 120 days a season.   I do nothing but soap and water at the end of the season and hang it in an unheated shed.   never had a problem.   I actually have a second one as back up which has sat in the shed for 10 years and looks ready to go.   

17 mins ago, MartyK said:

I've been using the same inexpensive Daiwa Sealine X rod for 10 years and I fish about 120 days a season.   I do nothing but soap and water at the end of the season and hang it in an unheated shed.   never had a problem.   I actually have a second one as back up which has sat in the shed for 10 years and looks ready to go.   

Keep it simple.

You really need to shower with your rods. Use a good shampoo and don't forget to use conditioner. Avoid harsh soaps. 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, Richizzzle said:

Lemon Pledge.

Idk why but my dad always did it. The rod was made in 1989 and still going strong so I guess it works.:howdy:

Silly as it may sound but I do this too...

I find that at the end of the season wash all your rods down with a wet cloth or towl with a little dawn dishwasher detergent in it. After wards wipe it down again just with a clean wet cloth or towel. After it's all dried,  I use some pledge and wipe down the rod from top to bottom.  It's a little bit of work,  but your rods will looks brand new and ready for battle for the next season.