bob_G

Close call, now I have no heat

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

Problem 1. Several days ago my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Big event, really close call.

Problem 2. My Burnham gas furnace has a cracked heat exchanger, and that's what caused it. It's junk.

Problem 3.  Have called everyone within five towns, no one can replace it till Jan or Feb. All are up to their armpits in work.

 

Thank goodness we have a coal stove as a backup heat source, we might need it for a couple months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, bob_G said:

Problem 1. Several days ago my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Big event, really close call.

Problem 2. My Burnham gas furnace has a cracked heat exchanger, and that's what caused it. It's junk.

Problem 3.  Have called everyone within five towns, no one can replace it till Jan or Feb. All are up to their armpits in work.

 

Thank goodness we have a coal stove as a backup heat source, we might need it for a couple months.

Wow, glad you are both ok.  That is scary stuff!

 

What area are you in?  I work for an HVAC company on Long Island, NY and while we don't do residential I might be able to put a note on ACCA industry forum for you to see if anyone can get to you sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, bob_G said:

Problem 1. Several days ago my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Big event, really close call.

 

Yikes! Please tell me you went out immediately and got a nice $25 CO detector and put it near your bedroom :read: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Suebert2 said:

Wow, glad you are both ok.  That is scary stuff!

 

What area are you in?  I work for an HVAC company on Long Island, NY and while we don't do residential I might be able to put a note on ACCA industry forum for you to see if anyone can get to you sooner.

 

He's near the pond, Sue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a REAL close call!  I noticed I was groggy, and getting headaches a couple days prior. We were only using the heat intermittently.  But one day last week we turned it up, a couple hours before bed. By 10pm, my wife and I were both on Queer Street. The CO is insidious, and snuck up on us. Dizzy, headaches, groggy, and both slightly confused. In the kitchen we both smell gas and fumes. 

I ran downstairs, WOW! Fumes, CO, unburned gas. If there were any mice, they didn't make it. Big yellow flames pouring out of the furnace.

Shut it off, opened the bulkhead, ran upstairs asap. Wife and I went outside, opening a few windows as we exited.

Here's the kicker. Two CO detectors, neither went off.  If we had gone to bed, we might have had a different outcome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, bob_G said:

It was a REAL close call!  I noticed I was groggy, and getting headaches a couple days prior. We were only using the heat intermittently.  But one day last week we turned it up, a couple hours before bed. By 10pm, my wife and I were both on Queer Street. The CO is insidious, and snuck up on us. Dizzy, headaches, groggy, and both slightly confused. In the kitchen we both smell gas and fumes. 

I ran downstairs, WOW! Fumes, CO, unburned gas. If there were any mice, they didn't make it. Big yellow flames pouring out of the furnace.

Shut it off, opened the bulkhead, ran upstairs asap. Wife and I went outside, opening a few windows as we exited.

Here's the kicker. Two CO detectors, neither went off.  If we had gone to bed, we might have had a different outcome.

 

 

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

Problem 1. Several days ago my wife and I got carbon monoxide poisoning. Big event, really close call.

Problem 2. My Burnham gas furnace has a cracked heat exchanger, and that's what caused it. It's junk.

Problem 3.  Have called everyone within five towns, no one can replace it till Jan or Feb. All are up to their armpits in work.

 

Thank goodness we have a coal stove as a backup heat source, we might need it for a couple months.

Did you buy new detectors if not do so immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, bob_G said:

Two CO detectors, neither went off.

That's ridiculous...are they the kind plugged into an outlet so that when the battery goes dead they can still save your life? Hell...PM me your address, I'll have the Amazon folks drop one off at your house :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimS said:

That's ridiculous...are they the kind plugged into an outlet so that when the battery goes dead they can still save your life? Hell...PM me your address, I'll have the Amazon folks drop one off at your house :) 

They have them with a 10 year sealed battery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roll out sensor should have shut the unit down 

all the years working construction involved in every phase ive never seen a co detector fail lever mine 2 ! Thank god you didnt go to bed .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

They have them with a 10 year sealed battery.

 

Mine plug into the wall...and has a battery. CO is nothing to mess with...we got gas hot water heater...gas dryer...gas hot water radiant heat...something happens with a stack getting blocked or something, CO could build up quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here's my heat until I get a new furnace. My old reliable Nightingale coal stove. My old friend. :laugh:

 

IMG_20221120_180617.jpg

IMG_20221120_180510_2CS.jpg

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, TimS said:

Mine plug into the wall...and has a battery. CO is nothing to mess with...we got gas hot water heater...gas dryer...gas hot water radiant heat...something happens with a stack getting blocked or something, CO could build up quick.

I hope Bob got new ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, Suebert2 said:

Wow, glad you are both ok.  That is scary stuff!

 

What area are you in?  I work for an HVAC company on Long Island, NY and while we don't do residential I might be able to put a note on ACCA industry forum for you to see if anyone can get to you sooner.

 

You are the bestest, Sherbert! :clap: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, bob_G said:

It was a REAL close call!  I noticed I was groggy, and getting headaches a couple days prior. We were only using the heat intermittently.  But one day last week we turned it up, a couple hours before bed. By 10pm, my wife and I were both on Queer Street. The CO is insidious, and snuck up on us. Dizzy, headaches, groggy, and both slightly confused. In the kitchen we both smell gas and fumes. 

I ran downstairs, WOW! Fumes, CO, unburned gas. If there were any mice, they didn't make it. Big yellow flames pouring out of the furnace.

Shut it off, opened the bulkhead, ran upstairs asap. Wife and I went outside, opening a few windows as we exited.

Here's the kicker. Two CO detectors, neither went off.  If we had gone to bed, we might have had a different outcome.

 

Glad you got out. On the other hand, you wouldn't have had to deal with no furnace!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.