b-ware

Hibernation

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I don't even keep my house that warm

I'm 70 and Debby is 67 and we firmly believe that we have earned the right to work in comfort........

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

I'm 70 and Debby is 67 and we firmly believe that we have earned the right to work in comfort........

I'm not judging, in fact I'm impressed, especially with rising heating costs

On 11/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, SkunkLuvver said:

That’s a really nice lathe right there. I have a nova dvr but it doesn’t quite have the heft I need for some of the off balance work I find myself doing. 

I bought a midi lathe over the summer (12X20" 1hp.) just starting to use it, I have a lot of learning to do.  

DSC_0768.JPG

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

I bought a midi lathe over the summer (12X20" 1hp.) just starting to use it, I have a lot of learning to do.  

DSC_0768.JPG

Years ago I bought an old lathe at a yard sale for 15$ with the intention of turning plugs with it. As I got better with it I thought it would be neat to turn a bowl out of a small log. The 30 seconds it went well were amazing and I knew I found my new “thing”

What happened next was the whole thing started walking across my shop so I had to pin it against the wall with my hip. Now with the lathe not absorbing the vibration the log started wobbling then it shot across my shop and hit the far wall. It was effin awesome.

Saved my nickels and got the DVR. Now I’m maxing that out by being overly ambitious.

Powermatic next?

Edited by SkunkLuvver

I’m a cellar dweller in the winter. Customers keep me busy plug building and past couple years bees keep me added busy too. I’m not big on relaxing. 

2C685082-F771-42EB-8EFE-DBB62CDA4C76.jpeg

C8550FB5-FC4C-4926-9971-C91CAAC1CC6D.jpeg

2362C242-C3AA-415E-A6B1-B19E29CC111D.jpeg

0E2EE2F7-EF31-463B-8E69-455DB913A92F.jpeg

811C9A00-B55A-45BB-9B0D-63A63C37EBD8.jpeg

F16C8F59-BDB0-4C6D-99EF-6FCC879A050B.jpeg

Long time caller dweller  also.  Initially mostly furniture, now mostly wood carving and plug building.

Charlie

IMG_0704 2.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

Wow. I’m glad that I don’t have that much room . Probably a good thing but Paul yours looks like a cross between  flaptails cellar and mad dog Manzi shed 

15 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

I’m a cellar dweller in the winter. Customers keep me busy plug building and past couple years bees keep me added busy too. I’m not big on relaxing. 

2C685082-F771-42EB-8EFE-DBB62CDA4C76.jpeg

C8550FB5-FC4C-4926-9971-C91CAAC1CC6D.jpeg

2362C242-C3AA-415E-A6B1-B19E29CC111D.jpeg

0E2EE2F7-EF31-463B-8E69-455DB913A92F.jpeg

811C9A00-B55A-45BB-9B0D-63A63C37EBD8.jpeg

F16C8F59-BDB0-4C6D-99EF-6FCC879A050B.jpeg

Good for you. Looks like you are a busy guy with varied interests. I'm curious as to the drawing/print hanging in your first pic. Is it a research sub? If so, and I hope you don't mind me asking, what is your connection? I've read some about these subs and that some are made or assembled on the Cape. Just a fantasy, but wouldn't they just be the 'ultimate fish-finder'? lol  

On 11/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, finbar said:

Good for you. Looks like you are a busy guy with varied interests. I'm curious as to the drawing/print hanging in your first pic. Is it a research sub? If so, and I hope you don't mind me asking, what is your connection? I've read some about these subs and that some are made or assembled on the Cape. Just a fantasy, but wouldn't they just be the 'ultimate fish-finder'? lol  

Yes that is an early Remus AUV. Originally developed by WHOI.  I have made many parts for that and the following models that came about along with many parts for several other Cape Cod Oceanographic companies that have sprung up in the last 35 plus years. There are many sizes of these subs too. From small dia. Like 6” to ones around 18” dia. And 10’ long.  Been a machinist in that field for that period of time. Many similar subs on the market from a bunch of different companies nowadays. West coast, Texas, Fla., and a bunch around here.  We don’t outfit the subs with the various electronics and such we just build many of the components. The exoskeletons mostly now and some  internal parts. Have also built parts on Alvin over the years too. If you are out and about in Buzzards Bay you can often see some of those companies out testing those units occasionally. 
Here is a pic of one being lowered into the NY city water system to go thru and look for leaks. 

EFAFD710-7CB2-4343-B7F6-C8F4FAB36F02.jpeg

66E984C6-9E58-4CF9-875C-C84E447A00C2.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

43 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Yes that is an early Remus AUV. Originally developed by WHOI.  I have made many parts for that and the following models that came about along with many parts for several other Cape Cod Oceanographic companies that have sprung up in the last 35 plus years. There are many sizes of these subs too. From small dia. Like 6” to ones around 18” dia. And 10’ long.  Been a machinist in that field for that period of time. Many similar subs on the market from a bunch of different companies nowadays. West coast, Texas, Fla., and a bunch around here.  We don’t outfit the subs with the various electronics and such we just build many of the components. The exoskeletons mostly now and some  internal parts. Have also built parts on Alvin over the years too. If you are out and about in Buzzards Bay you can often see some of those companies out testing those units occasionally. 
Here is a pic of one being lowered into the NY city water system to go thru and look for leaks. 

EFAFD710-7CB2-4343-B7F6-C8F4FAB36F02.jpeg

66E984C6-9E58-4CF9-875C-C84E447A00C2.jpeg

Wow, Thanks for that! :howdy: