Dumb Salmon Fly Question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So.. I want to dip my toes into salmon flies.. but I don’t know what this (circled) material is. A black herl almost? Appreciate the judgement-free help haha


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This part of this Atlantic salmon fly is called the butt and this one is definitely made of black ostrich herl. Ostrich herl is not the only material used for butts on salmon flies but probably the most prevalent. In "The Art of the Atlantic Salmon Fly", Joseph D. Bates writes (p. 76) this about the butt: "This normally consists of two or three turns of ostrich or peacock herl, or of wool or floss, wound on to cover the thread securing the tail".  


And Walpy, if you're interested, I've posted quite a few more modern (than the classic featherwings posted above) salmon flies on "Remembering years past..... Atlantic salmon flies" (page 2 of the list of threads on this Forum).

Edited by Suave

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.