The Long Branch Fishing Pier

Rate this topic

Sudsy

On 2/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, Tom T said:

Didn't grow up here but we had a sales meeting in '92ish at the Ocean Place in Long Branch(Hilton back then).  There was a skanky place just south of the hotel, facing the water, where Pier Village is now.  Grabbed some of my guys and we gave it a whirl.  A parade of not so great looking girls continued throughout the night, the cherry on top was a young woman who unfortunately looked very masculine.  My buddy said "thats a guy!", a little too loud it seems because she proved to him that she wasn't. :laugh: 

Separate trip to Stars and Bars in Long Branch also, the first time I've been afraid for my life in a drinking establishment.  Well founded , it seems....didn't the bikers kill someone there?

On 2/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, Sudsy said:

That was the Blue Dolphin

And yes they did, I found out later that Tattoo Gene (RIP), the guy who taught me how to fish the big bridge, had been part of that and was on the outs with the "club". All those times I stood next to him fishing I could have been drive byed :eek:

Lol, I knew I told the story

Thanks for the memories Sudsy. I'm sitting here now thinking about the many times we had in the 60's catching whiting off the north east corner, at night, middle of winter, sometimes so freekin cold the whiting would be flash frozen by the time they came up & over the rail. Old times Good times.

The group I worked with at DuPont in Parlin NJ would go there after 2nd shift and stay most of the night. I never understood how cold beers could be chugged in those conditions. 

On 11/18/2022 at 4:02 PM, JMB said:

What made laugh is that probably more than half the people reading this have no idea long branch had a fishing pier. So yes, we are getting old.:laugh:

I was confused for a minute there. Wondering how I’ve never noticed a huge fishing pier in my normal fishing grounds. 

There used to be some monster bass lurking under and around that pier after the fire. I'd hook up to them but they'd just tear out and either break my line or hunker down in the rocks near the tip of the jetty.  I hooked one off the north side of the jetty one night with a 1/2 oz. bucktail. It sat there for a moment then slowly moved out to the tip of the jetty. I couldn't budge it. 

Another time I was fishing around dusk and a nice blackfish started fishtailing on top of the rocks of the jetty with a bass with a mouth as big as a large garbage can chasing it. Sucker was ugly as hell.

The Bucks stop here...

22 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Where is that button?

I think it's in the Google Earth program that you download and install locally on your computer.  NOT the web app version at maps.google.com

The complete program has all sorts of features like elevation and topography and 3D, etc.  and yes, the Wayback machine.