Sudsy

The Long Branch Fishing Pier

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I just stumbled on the awesome old video, figured I'd share it...............

32 mins ago, JMB said:

Many a good time at Pier Pub before the fire in 1987.:beers:

Thursday nights, $1 import night at the outside bar with 80 different varieties.

It was cheaper to drink there then to buy most of them at the liquor store.

Crap....I remember when it burned down like it was yesterday....does that make me old? :dismay:

10 mins ago, TimS said:

Crap....I remember when it burned down like it was yesterday....does that make me old? :dismay:

What made laugh is that probably more than half the people reading this have no idea long branch had a fishing pier. So yes, we are getting old.:laugh:

3 mins ago, JMB said:

What made laugh is that probably more than half the people reading this have no idea long branch had a fishing pier. So yes, we are getting old.:laugh:

John...it beats the alternative...but not by much ;)

I remember fishing on the pier for whiting and the fire as well although i was in college at the time

think there is a market for a new fishing pier 

I remember as a kid fishing there with Dad and my uncle in the late 60's.  Always when it was cold, at night and with a northwest wind. Dad would hear that the whiting were in and it was time to get the to the Long Branch pier. Already dark, my Dad and uncle would park out front and do reconnaissance at the front gate to see if there was any action. With the backround lighting from pier you would be able to see fish hoisted and dangling in the air if the fish were in. If not, it was a trip back to the car to wait it out until the next look see. There was only once that we ever drove back home  to South River without entering the pier. A few bucks saved and gas back then was only 29 cents a gallon.

When the fish were in they were in! November and December with a northwest wind always drove huge schools of whiting towards the beach. After a good look from the gate Dad would give us the OK and we gathered our poles and burlap bags and jockeyed for position as far out on the pier as we could. Heavy rods with old Penn reels were leaned against the rails to save our place as we baited our 3 hook setup with strips of squid and a large sinker to drop it down. 3 hooks because we were there to catch as many as we could to fill our freezes for the upcoming holidays and because  when the whiting were in many double and triple headers were commonly caught. The tide or the wind could change at any time and then the bite was off. Most of the time we would leave with 2 or 3 burlap bags filled with whiting.  I never experienced it  but I had heard that the schools of whiting were so large at times that with the right wind many would beach themselves at night at the shoreline, freeze solid, and then be picked up and taken home. "Frost Fishing" was the term.

As a kid I watched  the multiple anglers compacted into small areas trying to do the same things we were doing.  Hundreds of lines in the water, guys casting their lines over their neighbors lines, fights breaking out, guys hooting with glee after hoisting up 3 large whiting at once while his buddy was still untangling lines from the guys next to him, ugly trash fish that were killed and thrown back over the pier (called Angler fish then, now known as Monk and now highly desirable),  and me competing with my Dad and my uncle all the while never realizing that in a short period of time this would all come to end.
I always loved listening to my grandfather, dad and uncles telling me their stories on how fishing used to be. Now I am 69 and I am doing the same thing with a heavy heart as I am sure they did. I try to be optimistic about things in life and as I grew up. I always thought that the whiting runs would come back eventually but they didn't. I still hope that someday they will.

On 11/18/2022 at 4:02 PM, JMB said:

I concur!

19 hours ago, adams54 said:

Sad I could never experience it.  What happened any way? Fire? How'd that start.. .lightning right?

Electrical fire.   No insurance either.  There’s been talk for years of rebuilding another one.  
NJ needs more fishing piers.