vallyp

CTaylor Step by step PDFs?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I heard there are a few around but I can’t find them? His older posts have the pictures missing and I’m wondering if anyone has PDFs or screenshots of his original step by step guides.

Thanks

I unfortunately do not have digital records of Chris' ties, but I do have some of his flies in sleeves.  I'm working out of town and won't be back home until Thanksgiving, if I can work out the time I'll post some pictures.  If you have specific questions maybe we can gently pull back some layers to  look closer.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Oakman said:

I unfortunately do not have digital records of Chris' ties, but I do have some of his flies in sleeves.  I'm working out of town and won't be back home until Thanksgiving, if I can work out the time I'll post some pictures.  If you have specific questions maybe we can gently pull back some layers to  look closer.

Thanks Oakman, would appreciate that if you get a minute. Following words without pictures is difficult and I have to improvise a lot.

72FB82FE-39DD-4DD7-AAB8-672E2F38BE86.jpeg

Edited by vallyp

On 11/19/2022 at 8:07 PM, vallyp said:

Thanks Oakman, would appreciate that if you get a minute. Following words without pictures is difficult and I have to improvise a lot.

72FB82FE-39DD-4DD7-AAB8-672E2F38BE86.jpeg

Great work.  The ostrich collars must really wiggle on the swing.

Who is Chris Taylor? Did a search here on his name, nothing came up so he must have had a moniker. A search on Internet with his name in connection with fly tying came up with a guide who runs the Fishheads San Juan River Lodge but nothing connecting him to fly tying. 

3 hours ago, rockeddy said:

Maybe you're thinking Jason Taylor ?

You can find him on YT.

Nope. Some of Jason's tying was inspired by Chris Taylor, you can find videos of him mentioning CTaylor. The name is a coincidence. Back around 2008-2013, there were a group and very creative fly tyers on this board that really innovated and CTaylor was regarded as the best.

What i'm most interested in is guides, tutorials, or step by steps leveraging stripped and palmered rhea feather as the base for the body of the fly. David Nelson of squimpish flies, CTaylor, Wendall - these tyers made a lot of very cool patterns using the technique. I've been burning $ ruining rhea trying to nail it myself so a little help would be nice :D 

Posted (edited)

I'll do my best to get some photos up later today.

I think I do remember Chris saying that he would soak the rhea before palmering.  

Edited by Oakman

These are top of my list for winter.

Have you seen David Nelson's Beulah or Jason Taylor's masters of the fly videos?  They're tying different flies but helped me get some of the hackle and palmered support layers. Looks like both apply here. 

3 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

These are top of my list for winter.

Have you seen David Nelson's Beulah or Jason Taylor's masters of the fly videos?  They're tying different flies but helped me get some of the hackle and palmered support layers. Looks like both apply here. 

Yes i've seen both. I believe a different technique is used in the pictures Oakman shared - thanks a lot man!

It looks like a much smaller tie in point and the palmered ostrich, rhea and peacock has almost a prop under it to bulk it up a bit? Jason Taylor talks a lot about filler flash to achieve the same result.