BrianBM

Dodge Ram drivers w/Allison engines

13 posts in this topic

RAms with the Allison engine and a particular transmission are to park outside pending repair. There is a risk of engine fires from a particular transmission. This applies to Ram 2500 and 3500 vehicles, a total of a quarter million vehicles.

Details on TheDrive.com.

Obviously a truck catching fire is a cause for concern, but to clear up any confusion:

1. Allison doesn't make engines, the effected trucks have a 6.7L Cummins

2. Allison transmissions aren't the issue, it's the 68rfe transmissions, I don't think ram even offers a truck with an Allison

3. Ram says the trucks can still be driven, but to watch out for a warning light

Too bad Dodge hasn't fixed the tranny issues on their Cummins diesels Rams. I have the 48re beefed up a bit.  It would’ve been nice to have an Allison Transmission. The tranny’s are a weak link.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:16 AM, phishallways said:

Too bad Dodge hasn't fixed the tranny issues on their Cummins diesels Rams. I have the 48re beefed up a bit.  It would’ve been nice to have an Allison Transmission. The tranny’s are a weak link.

Tranny has been Mopar’s weak link since the Torque Flight days.  

4 mins ago, Shag said:

Tranny has been Mopar’s weak link since the Torque Flight days.  

Poor decisions have been their weak link. A better transmission has always been available, but they cripple their vehicles with crappy options.

Even to this day, they Aisin is a fantastic transmission, but you can only get it in a high output 3500. Makes no sense.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, RWP said:

Obviously a truck catching fire is a cause for concern, but to clear up any confusion:

1. Allison doesn't make engines, the effected trucks have a 6.7L Cummins

2. Allison transmissions aren't the issue, it's the 68rfe transmissions, I don't think ram even offers a truck with an Allison

3. Ram says the trucks can still be driven, but to watch out for a warning light

I stand corrected.

Is an Aisin transmission something a good transmission shop can install, or is it too complex for anything save the factory?

3 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I stand corrected.

Is an Aisin transmission something a good transmission shop can install, or is it too complex for anything save the factory?

Anything could be done with enough money, but it would probably be a huge project, swapping ecu's and wiring harnesses.

Ram doesn't offer the Aisin transmission in the 2500 trucks, only the high output 3500s, so it wouldn't be plug and play.

''248K Ram HD Trucks Recalled For Transmission Leak That May Cause Fire

Ram 2500 and 3500 models going back to 2020 could leak transmission fluid from the dipstick tube.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has issued a safety recall for certain Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks going back to 2020. Leaking transmission fluid under the hood could cause a fire for nearly a quarter-million 2500 and 3500 models.

The recall covers Ram 2500 pickups from 2020 through 2023, and 3500 models from 2020 through 2022. According to documents from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), trucks equipped with the 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel and 68RFE transmission could experience heat and pressure buildup in the transmission. This could cause trans fluid to leak from the dipstick tube in the engine bay. If the fluid contacts an ignition source, it could cause a fire. There is no mention of this problem on Ram trucks equipped with other engines or transmissions.

Ram 2500 models are the bulk of the recall, with 199,317 units built from September 4, 2019, through November 4 of this year potentially affected. 48,965 Ram 3500 trucks from generally the same period (starting September 19, 2019) are part of the recall, totaling 248,342 vehicles. There is no fix for the issue at this time; a solution is being developed by FCA. The recall states that a Malfunction Indicator Lamp on the instrument cluster may come on prior to any event. ''

The Cummins diesel has a great many fans. So do Allison transmissions. Strange that this problem crops up with this combination.

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

The Cummins diesel has a great many fans. So do Allison transmissions. Strange that this problem crops up with this combination.

Rams still don't come with Allison transmissions.

Posted (edited)

AFAIK only GM used the Allison and only with the Duramax diesel

Mopar could make a better trans, all it takes is upgraded parts that their bean counters are too damn cheap to provide. 

I thought that any RAMs of recent manufacture should have the ZF 8 speed being made under license by Chrysler, but I guess the RFE series was still used with the Cummins.  

The Torqueflite 727 back in the old days was a great transmission, they mucked it up with a poorly engineered OD unit though (RE series) and poor machining on the clutch drums and defective lip seals. 

The next trans they used, the 545RFE is actually a good unit, the ones that are leaking are the bigger version of this I think, so what does it take to fix a leak at the dipstick tube?! FCA, or Stellantis as they are now known, is typically slow with recall parts. It sounds like the transmissions are overheating which causes the fluid to expand and gets to the top of the dipstick tube. Either that, or grossly overful. Just going by my Jeep with the 545 RFE that would have to be a real bad overheat for the fluid to get that high in the tube or it was really overfilled. If I had one of those I would for one thing make sure it isn't overfilled. That is common because people don't realize that full hot, means the trans temp is about 180*, if you can hold the end of the dipstick, it ain't that hot, in cold weather it may never get that hot, depending on how you drive. Just fill it to full cold when it's cold, then drive it and see how far it expands as the trans warms up. I will usually fill mine to full cold level, and then when it's as warmed up as it can get in cold weather it will be at the low end of the full hot range on the dipstick. 

A pan drop on this trans (545 RFE) takes 9.5 qts to get it to that level. 

545rfe filter change.jpg

Edited by LouC