DeeMonee

Plug rear hook replacement question

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey Gang,

Just a question. I’m replacing my trailer hooks  on the plugs that got whacked the last couple of weeks. A couple of them had the hook with the point down. Traditionally I always pointed them up. Particularly my pencil and bottle neck poppers. Is there a correct direction of these hooks?

Yes, tail hook up. My reasoning is that the hook point is more likely to find the top or at least either side of the mouth. Because, like humans, the top of the mouth doesn't move the way the bottom does and, in theory, less likely to throw the hook.

I've read so much discussion on this topic......up, down, size of the hook......depends on who is writing the article....some say don't point it up 'cause your into the bony part of the roof of the mouth, others say always point it down......when ya find out, let me know please....I'm still struggling with front hook leader wrap on some plugs...these questions need to be resolved so I can get some sleep.

2 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Hey Gang,

Just a question. I’m replacing my trailer hooks  on the plugs that got whacked the last couple of weeks. A couple of them had the hook with the point down. Traditionally I always pointed them up. Particularly my pencil and bottle neck poppers. Is there a correct direction of these hooks?

Inline or siwash?

4 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Hey Gang,

Sheeeeet. You got more street cred than me!! I would have asked you!

Anyway, way less than half of my plugs have no trailer/rear hooks & usually crushed barbs on the other ones that “need the hook” for proper action. 

I like the way upturned tail hooks hang from the hook keeper on my rod if that's some sort of criterion that would sway someone towards the point up crowd.  In actual practice, I do point down on surface and shallow runners.  All others, point up.

1 hour ago, bass11 said:

I like the way upturned tail hooks hang from the hook keeper on my rod if that's some sort of criterion that would sway someone towards the point up crowd.  In actual practice, I do point down on surface and shallow runners.  All others, point up.

Interesting take. What’s the logic to surface plug hook down?

Logical or illogical my take is that fish come from below to take a surface or shallow running lure.  The hook point on jigs face up and in my experience they are among the lures with the highest hookup ratio.

Posted (edited)

I run them point up... been messing around with super short assist hooks on the rear for when hits are tentative or skittish... have picked a few that looks like otherwise might have been short strikes

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

Edited by unclemikenj

I reached out to Dave Anderson at The Fisherman  Magazine about this as I noticed an article in the July or August edition showing the inline trailing single hook facing down. In a very well written response from Dave and to not steal his thunder, he said there was a clear advantage to having the hook face downward. I have since swapped all of my single trailers to point downward.