Frank2104

Tog at IRI.....can you wait them out of a hole

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

When fishing for tog at IRI and one gets into the rocks is it worth trying to wait it out? I've stood for several minutes at times and it didn't seem to make any difference. Will they ever come out? Any tricks to tease them out?

TIA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you know you have a tog stuck in the rocks vs just stuck in the rocks?  I've often had cases where I feel the nibble and set the hook and setting the hook makes me stuck and I lose the rig. No idea if there's fish on the other end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Absolutely. Try different angles first. But the best method for me has always been to open the bail and give them a few inches of slack, leave bail open & hold the line with your finger like you would to cast & wait it out. Once they feel “safe” they’ll start to swim. I usually let them go a foot or two before closing the bail and putting pressure on them, but that part depends on how deep the hole is/what kind of snag it feels like. If you’re familiar with the hole you’ll have a good feel for how much line to let them take or what direction you need to see them move in to avoid the snag again. Another trick is keeping the line tight and strumming it to irritate them, or just giving the rod aggressive shakes until they move. But the slack trick seems to work best for me. Most times you can play them out eventually unless they’re tangled in other lines down there. It takes 5-10 minutes sometimes but I’ve seen people wait a hour or two and finally get it. Personally, unless it’s a monster I’d rather just take the loss after 5 mins and get back on the bite. But it all depends on how patient you want to be.
 

9 hours ago, cwb124 said:

How do you know you have a tog stuck in the rocks vs just stuck in the rocks?  I've often had cases where I feel the nibble and set the hook and setting the hook makes me stuck and I lose the rig. No idea if there's fish on the other end.

A lot of times they’ll whack it and run straight in to a hole. Sometimes the sinker gets wedged in the process, sometimes the line is between a paper thin space between rocks, sometimes they just lock their self in. If you wait a few seconds you can usually feel them pulling back once they decide to move. But a tap & snag is a lot more questionable than a run and snag. They rarely drop the hook once they’re really on, so if you have pressure on them and they’re running before you get snagged it’s pretty likely they’re still on there. The slack trick or line slap/rod shake tricks will usually get them to move if you want confirmation that they’re still on - sometimes it takes a few maneuvers to get them to move though so don’t give up if the first attempt seems lifeless. 

Edited by Tyger92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely fish for them there but I saw a guy with an interesting setup couple years ago.   He had what I believe was a 15 foot rod.  Asked him why so big and he said short rods reel into the rocks long rods reel above the rocks.   Now here's the real interesting part.  He had drilled holes through his sinker and glued in pieces of weed whacker string in a X pattern.  Said it helped keep the sinkers from setting in the rocks.  Don't know but interesting ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

I rarely fish for them there but I saw a guy with an interesting setup couple years ago.   He had what I believe was a 15 foot rod.  Asked him why so big and he said short rods reel into the rocks long rods reel above the rocks.   Now here's the real interesting part.  He had drilled holes through his sinker and glued in pieces of weed whacker string in a X pattern.  Said it helped keep the sinkers from setting in the rocks.  Don't know but interesting ideas. 

I use my 10' rod for that very reason. Thought about using my 12' but didn't relish idea of hanging on to it. Interesting idea on the sinker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

I use my 10' rod for that very reason. Thought about using my 12' but didn't relish idea of hanging on to it. Interesting idea on the sinker!

Yeah I thought so.  He also painted the sinkers orange.  Said it mimicked crab eggs .   I know some people down south do that for pompano. 

 

Used to be a guy I would see there with what looked like a dang flagpole but no reel.  Would just dangle the crab and flip the tog over the rail.   

 

Been fishing there for 45 years and I always see some interesting people and things there.  Learn something every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a guy down there a month ago with 4 rods setup and custom little plastic pvc things to clip them to the rail. I don't get how you fish for tog that way. My understanding is you really need to feel the bite and set the hook as they spit it quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2022 at 3:34 PM, cwb124 said:

I saw a guy down there a month ago with 4 rods setup and custom little plastic pvc things to clip them to the rail. I don't get how you fish for tog that way. My understanding is you really need to feel the bite and set the hook as they spit it quickly. 

I’ve caught plenty that took the hook on their own, especially bigger ones. It depends on the day/how they’re biting. Some days it seems like I miss more fish when I do things the “right way”… but yeah, I would never fish with hands off the rod there, just so I know when they’ve cleaned the bait off the hook if nothing else. On a average day it’s rare to go a few minutes without at least a tap or two, on good days they can be like piranhas attacking it before it even has a chance to settle. So I’d have zero confidence in letting multiple rods sit because then I can’t feel those bait stealer nibbles. If I go a few minutes without a hit I assume the bait is gone, especially when using fleas, unless it’s one of those rare days when the bite just isn’t happening. But even in that case I still hold the rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2022 at 0:37 PM, Stryper Snyper said:

I rarely fish for them there but I saw a guy with an interesting setup couple years ago.   He had what I believe was a 15 foot rod.  Asked him why so big and he said short rods reel into the rocks long rods reel above the rocks.   Now here's the real interesting part.  He had drilled holes through his sinker and glued in pieces of weed whacker string in a X pattern.  Said it helped keep the sinkers from setting in the rocks.  Don't know but interesting ideas. 

You can buy sinkers with wires ("sputnik" or "satellite" sinkers) from several sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, BrianBM said:

You can buy sinkers with wires ("sputnik" or "satellite" sinkers) from several sources.

Yes.  $$$$$.  I have a few.  I never tried them in the rocks for as expensive as they are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember someone using old spark plugs and a paper clip for weight.  Was a mechanic and saved the plugs back when you had to change them more often.  Paper clip would bend and let you keep your rig.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

I vaguely remember someone using old spark plugs and a paper clip for weight.  Was a mechanic and saved the plugs back when you had to change them more often.  Paper clip would bend and let you keep your rig.  

I saw that in a post last year. I used up all the carriage bolts I had laying around left from my son's jeep mods. Also tried using a 10lb test loop from rig to sinker as a breakaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, Frank2104 said:

I saw that in a post last year. I used up all the carriage bolts I had laying around left from my son's jeep mods. Also tried using a 10lb test loop from rig to sinker as a breakaway.

I saw a guy using cheap rubber bands as a breakaway device for sinkers.

Anything weaker than the main line will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.