Goose

Inlet Rod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've tried the search function for what I'm looking for and haven't had the best of results so hoping for for some insight here.

I have started fishing a Jetty/Inlet type area where I bounce/jig 2-3oz Bucktails off the bottom in high current. I've been using a 10ft ODM genesis rated 1-4oz and have landed some great fish with this setup but I feel the rod is too soft in the tip to get the right action from the bucktail. Please let me know what other recommendations for this application you might have? 10ft being the ideal size.

Edited by Goose

Posted (edited)

GSB1201M immediately comes to mind. It has the backbone to turn any bass against a moon current, works a bucktail beautifully and is an extremely durable time tested blank.

As a matter of fact tonight I have both a 1201M and a 10' Genesis on my roofrack. The GSB covers the vast majority of the situations I fish from bucktailing inlets to slinging eels in the boulders. The Genesis is a nice rod, light and powerful for it's class but it's certainly not the rod I'd reach for in the situation described.

Edited by Sandbar1

Your current rod should be fine with what your throwing.

If you feel that the rod is not getting the right action on your bucktail, then change your technique. Shorter or longer sweeps, the fish will tell you how they like it.

A 2-5 oz. rod will be stiffer, might be what you are looking for in that current.

Dropping your line down by 10 lbs. may help you work those bucktails better and you should be able to fish lighter jigs and stay in the zone.

You may want to also consider a moderate action rod to work the bucktail. 

I own both versions of the Genesis, and love them both. They excel at slinging 2oz swimmers. However that wippyness doesn't do well in inlets. You're into the backbone of the rod the whole time. The 2nd generation feels especially soft. As the above poster said, it wouldn't be what I'd breakout for inlets.

I use a VSB200 paired with a St. Croix Mojo 1-4. I can turn larger fish and swing lower slots up if need be. Casts 2-4 oz bucktails well enough, but mostly I just feel like I'm in control of my bucktail and eventually a fish in fast current.  Now, I wouldn't want to throw SPs with the Mojo.....

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Goose said:

I've tried the search function for what I'm looking for and haven't had the best of results so hoping for for some insight here.

I have started fishing an Jetty/Inlet type area where I bounce/jig 2-3oz Bucktails off the bottom in high current. I've been using a 10ft ODM genesis rated 1-4oz and have landed some great fish with this setup but I feel the rod is too soft in the tip to get the right action from the bucktail. Please let me know what other recommendations for this application you might have? 10ft being the ideal size.

What reel do you use?   

you are going to get preference here as well. I moved away from odm.  I do a lot of jigging.  My surf rod setup is same as my jig rod. I use black hole striper special 10’ 3/4-4.  

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

What reel do you use?   

you are going to get preference here as well. I moved away from odm.  I do a lot of jigging.  My surf rod setup is same as my jig rod. I use black hole striper special 10’ 3/4-4.  

I have a ZX27 on the rod. I know it’s a lot of reel but I have grown to love it. 

Is the rod moderate action ? Mabe your looking for a faster rod tip ? That rod should have no issue in that area you described. Are there better rods mabe but do you want to spend that money?

28 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Is the rod moderate action ? Mabe your looking for a faster rod tip ? That rod should have no issue in that area you described. Are there better rods mabe but do you want to spend that money?

Yes the current rod is moderate, it’s the previous model which is listed as moderate/fast but it’s really a moderate action rod. I’m just curious as to what some other options on the market could be. I usually wait and try and pick up a little bit of a discount on the BST as spending $500 on a GSB right now when I have a stick that works isn’t top priority. Appreciate the input. 

Posted (edited)

@pakalolo I believe has a modified GSB for this purpose.  It could be a trimmed 132M if I remember correctly. 

I use a Lami 1321M in spinning, 1321M  -2” from the tip in convench, and a Fenny 1206 wrapped spinning.  Ask around and search the sight. There’s many views and opinions to consider. 

Edited by D1fishr

14 hours ago, Goose said:

I have started fishing a Jetty/Inlet type area where I bounce/jig 2-3oz Bucktails off the bottom in high current. I've been using a 10ft ODM genesis rated 1-4oz and have landed some great fish with this setup but I feel the rod is too soft in the tip to get the right action from the bucktail. Please let me know what other recommendations for this application you might have? 10ft being the ideal size.

I used both GSB 10MS and a ODM nex110foot 1 to 5 and they both excelled at what you are describing.

6 hours ago, D1fishr said:

@pakalolo I believe has a modified GSB for this purpose.  It could be a trimmed 132M if I remember correctly. 

I use a Lami 1321M in spinning, 1321M  -2” from the tip in convench, and a Fenny 1206 wrapped spinning.  Ask around and search the sight. There’s many views and opinions to consider. 

Yes, 11’ blank with 8” off the tip ,2” off the butt. Can cast 1-5 oz well and can lift a 10-12 lb fish , no need to go down and spend time dealing with smaller fish. Controlling your fish is a bonus for yourself and those fishing down tide. 

20 hours ago, Goose said:

10' Century Surf Machine 1-5oz. Throws its whole range and has the tip to jig what you're looking for.

Plenty of power to turn fish in current. 

Has Textreme finish so you don't have to worry about banging it around on the rocks.

8’ Fenwick inshore rated 2-5oz has been my favorite inlet rod by far when I need heavier stuff and might run in to bigger fish. The tip isn’t soft but it’s “just right” so it’s not a broom stick up top either, I throw down to 3/4oz comfortably and to the upper end without issue. The backbone is insane, it makes average fish sporty enough to enjoy with the top third, but the reserve power in middle/bottom can steer just about anything when something big enough to “activate” that bend hits. It has a shorter rear grip than most other rods - that’s my only complaint - it can feel awkward to cast when your muscle memory is tuned to surf rod style layouts with longer butts. But everything else about it makes up for that. 

I know, it’s shorter than the typical inlet recommendations but I prefer that for the turning & landing aspect of the fight and also feels more comfortable to work a jig with to me rather than with a longer rod.