1VW

FLAT rim/flange belly grommets

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a source for the old school flat rim/flange belly grommets, without having to buy them by the gross, they'd be willing to share? Not the rolled rim commonly available, the flat rim. I see I can get them from Scovill by the gross, but I just don't need that many. I have a homemade grommitizer but have an application for the flat rim grommets and my grommitizer won't make rolled rims flat; nicely anyway. Searched, but haven't found them on the web...

Thanks in advance for any considerations.

1vw

Edited by 1VW
forgot to specify, belly grommet...

7 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Take two pieces of maple, drill grommet shaft hole whack with hammer.  Flat

Yeah, that's what I've been doing but would like more consistent results or better yet, not have to flatten them in the first place...

Please follow up if you find a supplier. I've been looking too and can't seem to find any. I've mangled so many rolled rim grommets

I believe I have some somewhere but they are not chrome plated, just brass. All the grommets are brass but most suppliers have them chrome plated which is what most suppliers sell them as. 

On 11/25/2022 at 6:47 AM, Steel Pulse said:

I believe I have some somewhere but they are not chrome plated, just brass. All the grommets are brass but most suppliers have them chrome plated which is what most suppliers sell them as. 

Understood on the brass/nickel/chrome plate process; part of my job is designing & building those systems actually...

Messing around a bit with what I have, I did find out that if you take a steel rod with a dia. bigger than the grommet flange, make a nice square end on that rod, center drill a hole in the end to accomodate the OD of the belly grommet insert, you can then put a grommet in there and smack it flat with good repeatability and without bunging up the grommets. I should mention that I also found out the hard way that the insert hole edge drilled in the rod needs to be well chamfered or the neck of the grommet gets cut at the radius between the flange and the insert part...

Yes there is a radius on the grommets. I chamfer my plug holes with a n exacto knife before I seal my plugs, especially if I am epoxy sealing them as my grommets sit into my holes with a nice press and if you do not radius that edge you run the risk of splitting the wood. 
you can see belly hole champher and I did find a good amount of flat grommets. 

EF0A56C5-8312-438C-9B67-D79A4956B24F.jpeg

2B730DC4-A5C6-4C78-8AA1-5137AB40FF33.jpeg