RAW

Got out at 9 looking for more water ! Nope after all that rain,

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Sad to hear all the maladies of my fellow "More Experienced" anglers and I hope things get quickly resolved.  However, isn't it time to change the title of this thread to "Old Fart Aches and Pains That Impact Fishing".   Disappointing to check up on this thread to see if someone was actually fishing only see a new medical report.

In case anyone cares, not that they should, my lumbago has been acting up.  Bottom line is that getting old just plain sucks...

Getting old beats the alternative.  I’m in no hurry to look at the grass from the roots.

16 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Sad to hear all the maladies of my fellow "More Experienced" anglers and I hope things get quickly resolved.  However, isn't it time to change the title of this thread to "Old Fart Aches and Pains That Impact Fishing".   Disappointing to check up on this thread to see if someone was actually fishing only see a new medical report.

In case anyone cares, not that they should, my lumbago has been acting up.  Bottom line is that getting old just plain sucks...

Or maybe "Ways Old Farts Can Continue Fishing Despite Aches and Pains"? Because at least during striper season it seems we all do! Gotta close up camp tomorrow so I hope to at least make a few casts while water drains. Usually this time of year if I get anything it's pickerel but a nice LMB surprised me a couple weeks ago so there's hope... 

I’ll fish the tidal waters near me threw the winter weather permitting . Snow, wind and ice slow me up. There’s enough guys that fish these waters and keep access open, the town also plows. I used to belong to a fly fishing group from Maine and we had a January “Freezeout”that drew sometimes a 100 guys. This was put on by Eldfedge fly shop. Jim cooked breakfast and had rod company demo’s . So if your local keep fishing, the bite is on all winter

10 hours ago, RAW said:

I’ll fish the tidal waters near me threw the winter weather permitting . Snow, wind and ice slow me up. There’s enough guys that fish these waters and keep access open, the town also plows. I used to belong to a fly fishing group from Maine and we had a January “Freezeout”that drew sometimes a 100 guys. This was put on by Eldfedge fly shop. Jim cooked breakfast and had rod company demo’s . So if your local keep fishing, the bite is on all winter

Huh, unreal Bob. This didnt happen at Grand Lake Stream did it?

11 hours ago, RAW said:

Moved away for a while but now that I'm back I look forward to clearing ice off my guides while chasing sea runs. Leaves raked, camp closed up, now I can start the fall/winter fishery! 

The best bite is 10am to 2:30 when the sun warms the shallows. The trout sit on shadow line near brush /deadfall and will come on gravel and just sit. You can see and target them with indicators, nymphing the bottom has lots of snags. Since the fish in winter mode swinging flies needs to be short as to not spook. The trout will stay visible for hours if you don’t spook. My big setup is 5 lb. To 3 lb. With a pear shape shape styro float with bottom colored black set 2 ‘ from bead head fly. 

While our house was being built in '95 we rented a house near the footbridge in Ogunquit for the fall. There were 3 trout that sat under that bridge the whole time we lived there and for the life of me I could get so much as a look out of them. I did fine in other sections with a nine three streamer though. Had to replace all the electric receptacles in our bedroom today so I was housebound though I did find time to tie up some soft hackles for spring.