isleomaniac

Number one hooks?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

1 to a 2 is not a big deal but at the same time I want to tie the pattern that I want on the hook that I want.

Ultimately, my solution is to have 8,000 different hooks in 43 types, and I'll still buy more when I'm out.

I'm wicked smaht that way...

3 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

The 1/0 for me is heavier and takes more effort to cast, plus the weight of it makes my floating worm fly sink more.    

I agree the hook is slightly heavier and that will effect floatation, but more casting effort.... That might be a stretch.

As you know it's the type of materials used in the fly recipe that controls buoyancy for cinder worm flies.

If you want the lightest possible wire and have the best hook concealment from an underwater view from the fish, try salmon style hooks.

I've used them for decades for that reason. Rinse them in fresh water when your done.

I hope that helps you out?  I know how much you look forward to those three important weeks in May.   

I received the Umpqua XS 410 NI5X and they are an actual size 1, and looks like they will be my go-to hook for the next season.  The Arex/Bob Clouser hooks, and the Gama Stingers were both two sizes larger than #1 measuring out to be both at 2/0.  I had also ordered some Gama SS15 in size one and those were a half size smaller than #1, with a really thin wire.  I probably also have 8000 hooks in 43 types including a bunch of salmon hooks that a buddy gave me that I will probably never use.  

2 hours ago, Fergal said:

that would depend on the style

I would posit that the Mustad Signature hooks and their successor, the Alfapoint (Sp?) are the equal to any of the other popular brands, and the new hooks are matt grey, not shiny, which I view as a plus. I personally think the Tiemcos are crap, Gamis are great but more money.

JC

Edited by JonC

1 hour ago, JonC said:

I would posit that the Mustad Signature hooks and their successor, the Alfapoint (Sp?) are the equal to any of the other popular brands, and the new hooks are matt grey, not shiny, which I view as a plus. I personally think the Tiemcos are crap, Gamis are great but more money.

JC

Great to hear that they are now available in a non-shiny finish. 

58 mins ago, JRT said:

Great to hear that they are now available in a non-shiny finish. 

Find the new ones.F5B8D287-16F0-4764-A30D-AC7151A4FF34.jpeg.02401d9e9ca80ee5cfd9a675a0130bba.jpeg

There are lots of "designer" hooks out there.  The Mustad heritage c68s is one of my favorites.  I appreciate mustad for their advances and staying competitive.   

2 hours ago, JohnDe said:

There are lots of "designer" hooks out there.  The Mustad heritage c68s is one of my favorites.  I appreciate mustad for their advances and staying competitive.   

That’s what’s in my picture in their newest iteration, the short shank is perfect for most of my needs. BTW those are #1’s.

JC