Number one hooks?

Rate this topic

isleomaniac

TMC, Gamkatsu, Umpqua, Saber, in the model hook that I want.  TMC's are brittle and break anyway, so I stopped using them.  I like Gamakatsu, but no #1 in the style I want, Umpqua X series xs410 n15x, no #1.  Daiichi makes #1, but those fine point chemically sharpened hooks ding and break easily, so your fly doesn't last very long.  So kind of frustrating trying to find the perfect and reliable, sharp, long-lasting hook in #1 size.  

Worm Hatch Inspector.

I think #1 is my go to size for up here. We all have our favorites but I don't have problems finding one that will be acceptable.

Regarding g the x-410, yes they are out of stock in a few places but in stock in others that I looked at briefly. Obviously, lots of things are short supply still and #1 is probably one of the more popular sizes, hence the short supply of some.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I bought a bunch (500) of #1 hooks off eBay and didn't notice they were fly hooks, whoopsy. Looks like I have a starting point for tying, lol.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

Quote: "TMC's are brittle and break anyway, so I stopped using them."  

That's happen to me too quite a few times with the Tiemco 811s series  1/0 hooks.

It hasn't happen not once with their #1, #2, or #4 hooks that I use basically use for hardtail patterns and cinder worm flies.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I guess, over time, after you have caught a lot of fish, and lost some bigger fish, and have done a lot of fly casting, you get pretty fussy over hooks.  So I am looking for and trying different brands to find the perfect hook in the #1 size.  I contacted Umpqua, and the rep said they do make the XS410 in #1, but most of the dealers are out of stock.  I think I found a dealer that lists the #1 size, and so ordered some with fingers crossed, to check out for next season.  Will see, on the order sheet it said they were black nickel, not SS.   And yes, the 811S series were the brittle ones, just take a pair of needle nose pliers and give it a twist, they snap easily.  I will look at the Gama stingers.  Above 50 degrees this am, so heading out for stripers.  On Sunday 11/13 got 3, on sharp and strong Gamakatsu hooks, one at 29", those might have been the last for this season?

Worm Hatch Inspector.

35 mins ago, isleomaniac said:

I guess, over time, after you have caught a lot of fish, and lost some bigger fish, and have done a lot of fly casting, you get pretty fussy over hooks.  So I am looking for and trying different brands to find the perfect hook in the #1 size.  I contacted Umpqua, and the rep said they do make the XS410 in #1, but most of the dealers are out of stock.  I think I found a dealer that lists the #1 size, and so ordered some with fingers crossed, to check out for next season.  Will see, on the order sheet it said they were black nickel, not SS.   And yes, the 811S series were the brittle ones, just take a pair of needle nose pliers and give it a twist, they snap easily.  I will look at the Gama stingers.  Above 50 degrees this am, so heading out for stripers.  On Sunday 11/13 got 3, on sharp and strong Gamakatsu hooks, one at 29", those might have been the last for this season?

They make a size 1, I have a few on order. They are online, just have to look. They are out of stock (as are other 1's) on many sites. I have 2's, those are not black nickel, not ss, some sort of chrome plated type bull****.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Hook size #1?  ....... Does it really make that much of a difference if you go up or down a hook size?

We are talking saltwater here, not size 28 midge nymphs? 

I personally stay away from nickel plated hooks in saltwater.

Even if you don't use the fly to fish, they still rust around the salt air in the box.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Well, if you are fussy about hooks like me, it does make a difference.  I use a #2 size for worm hatches, and it catches and holds fish up to 30."  For most of the bigger fish it doesn't penetrate a larger bony jaw, and pulls loose halfway through the fight.  So I need to use #1's if larger fish are present.  The 1/0 for me is heavier and takes more effort to cast, plus the weight of it makes my floating worm fly sink more.  Fussy, fussy, fussy.  I just received some Ahrex hooks developed by Bob Clouser, the carbon steel is stronger than stainless steel, so that is good.  They look and feel sharp (chemically sharpened), with a micro barb, and not 100% corrosion resistant.  I will try a couple next worm season which lasts only a month for me, so rust should not be a problem.  They will get used and tested, if I can double or triple the number of fish per fly before they need to be replaced, then I will be satisfied.  

Worm Hatch Inspector.

I prefer Gamakatsu in smaller saltwater sizes. 2, 1 , 1/0. Been fishing a size  2 small peanut bunker pattern as a teaser on my surf spinner...100 plus shorts/slots in the past two weeks and the hook still looks new .Fish to 10lbs firmly hooked, only missed fished on the bigger hook bucktail. Use the Gami 2 and don't lose sleep over it.