flyangler

SE Florida Meet-up III - February 4, 2023

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Hey all.  Ooni pizza update.   I got some attachments to run gas and I will actually make some pizza this weekend so your not going to be Guinea pigs

i have to get my hands on some semolina flour and or corn meal to help the dough off the peel and onto the stone

adding olives and anchovies to the toppings!

Last year there were 21 pages, this year 5.. How many folks are going to show up?

43 mins ago, levari said:

Last year there were 21 pages, this year 5.. How many folks are going to show up?

i will provide an update tomorrow. And I think of those 21 pages, many were during and after the event

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

i will provide an update tomorrow. And I think of those 21 pages, many were during and after the event

Great, let me know if I need to bring anything.. I was thinking making my Humus but the wife told me the guys won’t like it..

42 mins ago, levari said:

Great, let me know if I need to bring anything.. I was thinking making my Humus but the wife told me the guys won’t like it..

Won’t like humus or won’t like YOUR humus? 

Anybody driving down from Long Island?

I postponed my surgery and thinking to go down.

I have wife's blessing.

3 hours ago, flyangler said:

Won’t like humus or won’t like YOUR humus? 

Humus in general..

4 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Anybody driving down from Long Island?

I postponed my surgery and thinking to go down.

I have wife's blessing.

Damn, i have some things to keep me. I really would go in a minute. Even if it were just to meet Red.

Posted (edited)

Test fired the ooni with LP gas. Works as it should

But doesn’t like wind

3449CF7D-F4AC-4807-86F7-AE046E2B5798.jpeg

Edited by KurtGett

That would be a separate trip.

Maybe, in few months, we can organize trip to Cottigeville, without his knowledge.

Camping in the swamp, that he calls his front yard.

Maybe, help Raice to mows the lawn, feed the dogs, fire the barbecue, teach him how to repair AC systems, etc

Will see

20 hours ago, levari said:

Humus in general..

I eat hummus with gusto (and with crackers and cucumber slices)

OK, slept in this morning but did go out to check out the beaches for the pre-sunrise anglers. My intent was the see if the stairs were repaired at the spot on Jupiter Island but the bridge was closed for repairs at 9am this morning. Thus, not sure about that spot. 

I have two spots that use street parking which are not in parks so full access even before first light. I am going to suggest one over the other, one that Manny G and I have fished quite a bit. 

Mercury Road is in Juno Beach, south of Carlin Park. The street is a "circle" with plenty of parking early in the morning. You walk out onto the beach and can fish straight away or walk north or south. There is a sandbar out there at the end of a long cast. If they are around, every fish we get this time of year could be passing through there. Over the past two months that area provided bluefish, jacks, spanish macs, small sharks and tarpon. I don't fish with anything small or with bait but this is a VERY popular spot for the pompano anglers who also get whiting. A strong walk south gets you into casting range of a reef, one of Manny's favs, but not sure you would want to go that far. 

63d734269eb28_ScreenShot2023-01-29at10_00_44PM.png.35cacf98f2d87e8e3b9628bf02d2ef65.png

Total Holistic Body is a good GPS location as shown in the map with street photos of that left turn below.

9D5F2D80-B7B9-4A48-9AE2-7099687851F5_1_105_c.jpeg.a4854f71e3d8526b1a4671e53f58e972.jpeg

C4D4AC38-7476-4EC9-AE9C-0A034B3CA7A3_1_105_c.jpeg.11b62a7e713fa9cc05456a50bb17031c.jpeg

7D279E9F-7D3A-4531-96E6-FC4B68489769_1_105_c.jpeg.32946f874089cf5f17fd8997667c9a7a.jpeg

Mercury is about 5.5 miles south of Carlin Park, an 11 minutes drive straight up Route A1A. 

63d734228eb66_ScreenShot2023-01-29at10_03_37PM.png.a05605fb2844669180834055d4dbdd4c.png

Posted (edited)

Food volunteered:

• Kurt - Pizza
  • Levari - Hummus
  • Tom - Lamb meatballs avgolemono
  • Tom - Chicken skewers
  • Tom - Greek salad
  • Leatherface - Bisque ???

I will provide:

• Cooler & ice
  • Case of water
  • Charcoal for grill(s)
  • Cutting board & knives
  • Miscel gluten-free beers
  • Hard cider
  • Cups
  • Plates
  • Utensils

We could use:

• Chips
  • Pretzels
  • Soft drinks
  • Regular beer
  • Burgers/dogs/rolls (but not too many)

I am not inclined to bring Dunkin' coffee this year as few drank it the past two years so if you want a caffeine hit, bring it. But if I don't get Dunkin', then there will not be donuts. 

Edited by flyangler

Posted (edited)

Regarding fishing before Carlin Park opens, random thoughts:

06:41 First light

07:05 Sunrise

07:45 High tide

So Carlin should open at 7ish. If I fish beforehand, I will be at Mercury at 6:30. 

Minor fishing time: 05:35-07:35

Major fishing time: 10:53-12:53

Full Moon the next day

Forecast:

Temps 71-78*

Wind ~10mph out of SW

Waves 3-4' which is better than lake flat

There is a chance of showers in late morning to early afternoon, bring a jacket. That should also keep the beach crowd suppressed so they are not in the way of we anglers. 

With a partly cloudy forecast for dawn, the sunrise should be impressive so bring camera or phone if you are inclined to take photos. 

506C011C-A219-44FE-9892-70874E459450_1_105_c.jpeg.61fd9e90744073c0dcde8c0fd9a9a05f.jpeg

Edited by flyangler