Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 14 - 30

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I remember when there were so many blues in the surf that they became a nuisance. Especially, for the live eel fishermen like myself. We used to curse them when our nice eels came back looking like cigar butts after getting a vicious hit. As of late, my rigged eels and slug-gos go unmolested by blues most of the season. Chop off these days(nights) are rare.

Those years the bluefish were so plentiful that catching them was followed by curse.

Two years ago I experience a long afternoon with gorilla size blues non-stop.

Last year only few medium size blues.

This fall daily non-stop for two weeks. Not as big as two years ago but some were nice size..

10 hours ago, dangingras said:

Out this afternoon in SoCo. Saw a huge plunging of gannets, working almost non stop for 2+ hours. First they hung around in a pretty tight area, almost coming into casting range a couple times, but the wind was too much. They finally worked their way west into the setting sun, still diving. They are impressive animals, especially in the numbers out there today.

Still fish around, 12-25 inch fish today, in a reasonable quantity to keep your interest. If it weren't for the wind, fishing would have been better. I should have gone inside to fish, but it was a beautiful day on the beach (except for the wind). 

Makes you wonder if those mythical sea herring are around ? :)

Had to go to EP yesterday evening, lots of bait (could easily see the big schools) by the barrier and birds going nuts.  Had to assume there was fish under them by the commotion.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Makes you wonder if those mythical sea herring are around ? :)

There were small "shad" coming to the surface.

57 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

Sounds like there are still schoolies around? Going to be in RI for the week of Thanksgiving and debating if it’s worth bringing a rod. 

I'd say bring it. ;)

21 mins ago, bdowning said:

I'd say bring it. ;)

Definitely. 

Scoured multiple spots today from ganset and all along SOCO . spent most of the day searching and casting.  Saw lots of birds and gannets far off shore... wind got pretty strong today from the WSW. 

The bait and fish were never visible in close....   Landed one schoolie for the day.   Could have been great if the action moved in closer to shore. (but it didn't... so it wasn't. )

Slushy morning on the rocks. Guy doing yoga (?) on the only fishable point at one location. Gannets and bait around, but beyond reach from shore. Seen more litter than fish.

I had been planning for a number of days to hit SoCo today...but saw the wind and temps and opted for a closer to home (in MA) freshwater option (scoreboard, 1 lake trout then blown off the water shortly after

Posted (edited)

A couple of pictures that that work as a metaphor as to where we’re at in the 2022 season

Edited by albacized

Such a strange year, fished for a few hours and found a monster pile of 2-3" peanuts. For awhile it was all huge shad, and these things are huge and were hitting my jigs and swim shad, and then a few schoolies mixed in. Changed my location slightly as was starting to think about leaving, and found a pile of better fish. Landed 5 slots 28- 33/34", and lost an overslot right at my feet as i was landing it.  Then the bite died as quick as it started.  Crazy November, less schoolies then have seem historically, and have landed more keepers then I think i ever have in Nov and fish to 35" not just the barely keepers. Keep saying its my last bigger water trip before i move to holdover locations, but tough to quit now.

C95AC109-0585-4DD5-8478-36A7BF3264C5.jpeg

26DC3DCA-DCEA-4B85-82CC-9E02EEAA16D4.jpeg

Edited by Kooky