Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 14 - 30

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Amazing how long the bay has held fish this year... Also was shocked on how few bluefish were around the bay this fall, especially with all the med sized peanuts.

19 mins ago, Kooky said:

Amazing how long the bay has held fish this year... Also was shocked on how few bluefish were around the bay this fall, especially with all the med sized peanuts.

I caught exactly one bluefish this season in nearly 80 surf trips.

10 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

This was the second year in a row that we did better in Spring than we did in the Fall with blues.

In fact I don't think we really hit em good in the fall at all.

I caught no blues this fall from shore and only 1 or 2 from a boat.  Last year from boat in the bay you could catch them till your arms were too tired to fish more.  The spring has had far more blues, and some big gators also.  Its an odd shift in that fishery

Sort of begs the question...where did they all go in the fall, especially with all that bait around ? I dont normally target blues, but usually get some accidental catches in the fall. But i think i only caught 1 between sept and now, and that was in soco. :headscratch:

Interesting - this fall (October) was the first in many, many, years that we had big blues in the Newport surf mixed with the schools of bass.  I also had some very big blues in the Block surf which were my first in many seasons out there.

This was quite a season for big bluefish in Rhody.  Our top three club entries are 18,14,13 lbs. 

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Interesting - this fall (October) was the first in many, many, years that we had big blues in the Newport surf mixed with the schools of bass.  I also had some very big blues in the Block surf which were my first in many seasons out there.

This was quite a season for big bluefish in Rhody.  Our top three club entries are 18,14,13 lbs. 

It is interesting. 

Reports I've seen reflect what you said. Not a lot of blues, in some cases conspicuously absent blues, but certain places had big blues.

Another weird aspect is, going by reports, not personal observation, blues made an appearance in Maine this season. After flooding the region through the 90s and early 2000s, blues been scarce up that way for awhile. 

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I caught exactly one as well - on an albie trip. Was fortunate (in some ways) to land it because another guy hooked an albie, which wrapped my line, and broke the guy off..his line stayed wrapped on mine for several minutes to where I was fighting an 8-10 lb bluefish and an albie at the same time

87AAAFA4-067E-41F8-BC7E-E223400E6A4D.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I managed to pull one cocktail blue in the mix of schoolies. No good size ones from the surf for me this year. 

Edited by V_T30

39 mins ago, clammer said:

DZ>>>> you still belong to fishing clubs ?????????:shaky:

Yeah - seems like I’ve been President for life in the Newport club. 

6 hours ago, albacized said:

I caught exactly one as well - on an albie trip. Was fortunate (in some ways) to land it because another guy hooked an albie, which wrapped my line, and broke the guy off..his line stayed wrapped on mine for several minutes to where I was fighting an 8-10 lb bluefish and an albie at the same time

87AAAFA4-067E-41F8-BC7E-E223400E6A4D.jpeg

I remember when there were so many blues in the surf that they became a nuisance. Especially, for the live eel fishermen like myself. We used to curse them when our nice eels came back looking like cigar butts after getting a vicious hit. As of late, my rigged eels and slug-gos go unmolested by blues most of the season. Chop off these days(nights) are rare.

Out this afternoon in SoCo. Saw a huge plunging of gannets, working almost non stop for 2+ hours. First they hung around in a pretty tight area, almost coming into casting range a couple times, but the wind was too much. They finally worked their way west into the setting sun, still diving. They are impressive animals, especially in the numbers out there today.

Still fish around, 12-25 inch fish today, in a reasonable quantity to keep your interest. If it weren't for the wind, fishing would have been better. I should have gone inside to fish, but it was a beautiful day on the beach (except for the wind). 

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I remember when there were so many blues in the surf that they became a nuisance. Especially, for the live eel fishermen like myself. We used to curse them when our nice eels came back looking like cigar butts after getting a vicious hit. As of late, my rigged eels and slug-gos go unmolested by blues most of the season. Chop off these days(nights) are rare.

I’ve had many good falls fishing riggers and no boofish. Other than that they are missed.