CutGrassCatchBass

Small Van Staal Sizes For Freshwater

15 posts in this topic

As an avid surfcaster, I have immensely enjoyed the benefits of fully sealed Van Staal reels in the surf. My 150 and 250 X-Series are some of my most used reels of all time. However, occasionally throughout the year, I enjoy freshwater fishing at night for bass and trout from a float tube and with waders. This winter with some nighttime holdover trout missions in mind, I am considering picking up a bailless VSX or VSX2 100-size for freshwater use. With a sealed reel, I would be able to focus on fishing and proper fish handling when I am wading and tubing, instead of trying not to dunk a non-sealed freshwater reel.

 

I would pair this reel with a 7' or a 7'6" rod, and I would primarily throw lures from 1/8 - 5/8 oz. Similar to many light inshore applications that the Van Staal would excel in. I would likely be using braid mainline, and as light as 6-8lb fluoro leader. Will the main con of VS reels, the drag, be smooth enough to handle such light line? Does anyone else here use VS reels for freshwater applications? Just trying to make sure I am not overlooking any apparent issues before I make such a large investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO it’s an unnecessarily large and over built reel for freshwater. I wade a good bit an have never had issues from freshwater getting in reels. If I really dunk and crank a reel in the river I’ll open it up and dry it off inside, but I usually don’t even go that far. I’ve had reels that I’ve opened up at the end of the season and had water pour out, but it hadn’t done any damage that a fresh coat of grease wouldn’t help

 

for sweetwater cheaper non sealed reels hold up just fine, and are generally much cheaper. You could try a step down in sealing and try out the magsealed daiwas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CutGrassCatchBass said:

 I am considering picking up a bailless VSX or VSX2 100-size for freshwater use. With a sealed reel, I would be able to focus on fishing and proper fish handling when I am wading and tubing, instead of trying not to dunk a non-sealed freshwater reel.

 

I would pair this reel with a 7' or a 7'6" rod, and I would primarily throw lures from 1/8 - 5/8 oz. Similar to many light inshore applications that the Van Staal would excel in. I would likely be using braid mainline, and as light as 6-8lb fluoro leader. Will the main con of VS reels, the drag, be smooth enough to handle such light line? Does anyone else here use VS reels for freshwater applications? Just trying to make sure I am not overlooking any apparent issues before I make such a large investment.

Well, knock your socks off.  If you're going to use a reel float tubing, it's is going to get dunked; so you will be pretty much prepared for those circumstances.   I have a VR75 seated on a 6'6' rod at the moment, It's just a thing that takes up line.  I reel in 1/2 to 1 oz. baits without any line lay issues, knots etc. 

Edited by chisler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EliasA said:

IMO it’s an unnecessarily large and over built reel for freshwater. I wade a good bit an have never had issues from freshwater getting in reels. If I really dunk and crank a reel in the river I’ll open it up and dry it off inside, but I usually don’t even go that far. I’ve had reels that I’ve opened up at the end of the season and had water pour out, but it hadn’t done any damage that a fresh coat of grease wouldn’t help

 

for sweetwater cheaper non sealed reels hold up just fine, and are generally much cheaper. You could try a step down in sealing and try out the magsealed daiwas 

The only reason to ever buy a VS reel is that it functions after being dunked in saltwater and sand. Besides that, there is no reason to own one. For freshwater fishing where sand and salt is not an issue, there are so many reels that function way better than a VS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

The only reason to ever buy a VS reel is that it functions after being dunked in saltwater and sand. Besides that, there is no reason to own one. For freshwater fishing where sand and salt is not an issue, there are so many reels that function way better than a VS.

Agreed, there are so many more refined reels for a fraction of the price that excel in freshwater. You don't have sand or saltwater to get inside your reel and kill it, so you have no need for a fully sealed reel. 

 

The newer Japanese reels like Shimano and Daiwa are lighter, smoother, more gear ratios, more refined, and a fraction of the cost. If you want to spend VS money get a Stella FK or Daiwa Exist G LT, I guarantee you will enjoy them so much more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6-8lb fluoro VS is just the wrong tool for the job, fresh or salt.

 

Certate LT, Exist G...any of the Daiwa 2500 - 3k spinners if you're staying in freshwater. Shimano TP/Exsence/Stella if it's going to see salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a VR75 with #20 braid I use for back bay and rivers.  I throw on a VR50 spool loaded with 8# for fluking and also for freshwater use.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chisler said:

Well, knock your socks off.  If you're going to use a reel float tubing, it's is going to get dunked; so you will be pretty much prepared for those circumstances.   I have a VR75 seated on a 6'6' rod at the moment, It's just a thing that takes up line.  I reel in 1/2 to 1 oz. baits without any line lay issues, knots etc. 

Agreed. I can't see using a non-sealed reel for float tubing. Do you like your VR for freshwater applications? I handled one of the new VSX2 bailed 100-sizes the other day at Saltwater Edge and was very impressed at how small and refined it felt. However, I may consider the VR 50 over a VSX, given that the reel will not likely be catching any fish over 30"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, recoil said:

I have a VR75 with #20 braid I use for back bay and rivers.  I throw on a VR50 spool loaded with 8# for fluking and also for freshwater use.

 

Nice! how does it perform at lighter drag settings with the 8#?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also used my VR50 for FW. Even with small rooster tails. And, 20#PP, I believe. And that's just from shore, not worrying about dunking it.

I have it and I love it's comfort, so why not use it. 

l'll admit to using my FW gear more, now, since upgrading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.