Joe Paranee

HEADING TO PANAMA POPPING & JIGGING

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

From what I’ve seen on YouTube, that’s going to be an amazing trip. I’ll say my prayers that your luggage/gear makes it there with you. That’s a serious arsenal.

1 hour ago, sefmonster said:

Just a thought maybe you can hit up Kilsong at Jig n, Pop and ask for some tips. Just my .02 cents.

KIL is awesome and certainly good advice 

thank you sir 

1 hour ago, DelP said:

From what I’ve seen on YouTube, that’s going to be an amazing trip. I’ll say my prayers that your luggage/gear makes it there with you. That’s a serious arsenal.

Like I said I have been there before but was primarily a black Marlin trolling trip and we killed it but this trip is all popping and jigging so i am stoked. I love throwing poppers and stickbaits i will keep all posted 

that belt looks familiar. lol

your lures and jigs cost more then normal rods and reels. hHAHA

i think youll have fun with the gear assortment.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EricL said:

that belt looks familiar. lol

your lures and jigs cost more then normal rods and reels. hHAHA

i think youll have fun with the gear assortment.

Hey buddy and yes the belt worked out great with the MC works belt 

the Zenaq stuff is crazy nice and come spring when the new salt boat comes in we will chase some fish 

thx again 

Edited by Joe Paranee

i used to commercial fish there and occasionally got huge and i do mean huge black marlin. they always came up dead. there was no market for them so i would put them on the dock and say help yourselves. the house wives would swarm like piranha. they could strip a thousand pound fish in like 5 minutes. that was in the gulf of panama.

also in the gulf i commercially trolled for tuna. i would work the spinner dolphin. excellent fishing at times

i commercially trolled tuna to the west of coiba as well. worked spotted dolphin there. no spinners

good luck hope you knock em dead 

A chrome Roberts Ranger would be a good choice to bring along,

clear coat it with Devcon 30 minute epoxy, change the split ring , and the single hook to a 4X VMC treble.

At Tropic star, for inshore fishing, they were partial to the Shimano colt sniper lure, however the finish didn't hold up well after a few fish, the split rings and hooks were mediocre and needed to be changed,

and plug coated with Devcon.

I did quite well in Costa Rica with Roosters with the Roberts Ranger.

Good Luck

17 mins ago, Kastmaster44 said:

clear coat it with Devcon 30 minute epoxy, change the split ring , and the single hook to a 4X VMC treble.

At Tropic star, for inshore fishing, they were partial to the Shimano colt sniper lure, however the finish didn't hold up well after a few fish, the split rings and hooks were mediocre and needed to be changed,

Good Luck

Thank you I just ordered some 3 ounce chrome and I have plenty of trebles :)

6EAE1584-20A1-4D57-9C5C-A8B851C5B688.jpe

I would put all your reels in your carry on, spools of line in your checked in luggage. They view the line as a weapon. Returning from Costa Rica one year, I forgot to remove them, I was then instructed to remove the line from the spools, so I started on the first reel, after a few minutes, they had a change of heart and waved me on to the boarding area. Got lucky, almost 200.00 of braid.

4 hours ago, Kastmaster44 said:

Good Luck

You beat me to the punch with the Rangers! Like the tip on Devcon. I have around a dozen in chrome, white, red/white, orange, etc..

I also switched to Owner Stingers which are razor sharp.

2 hours ago, Kastmaster44 said:

I would put all your reels in your carry on, spools of line in your checked in luggage. They view the line as a weapon. Returning from Costa Rica one year, I forgot to remove them, I was then instructed to remove the line from the spools, so I started on the first reel, after a few minutes, they had a change of heart and waved me on to the boarding area. Got lucky, almost 200.00 of braid.

Same thing happened to me right after 9/11