Tip guide insert replacement/repair

Rate this topic

Mr.Belmar

Hey Everyone! 

I have a question, seems like it’s been asked before, but I couldn’t find any info when I searched. Sorry if it’s been asked before! 

the ceramic insert in one of my rods was cracked and broke out. Usually I would replace the whole tip top guide. BUT I noticed that they sell just plain inserts - can you replace just the insert- or- is if more trouble then it’s worth? Like does the new insert fallout easily? 

I have a micrometer and can measure accurately and order the right size- but is it worth it? It just seems easier and would come out nicer then replacing the whole guide. 

is there anything I should know about the process of replacing the insert? Glue ect? 

5 minute job for you to do it and a lot of tackle stores do it for free plus the price of the tip top, the thing is their choices are small as far as materials compared to what you have available online. You'll need a rubber band and a paper clip, the clip is a heat sink for the rubber band. Attach the band to something, the clip to the tip top, heat the tip top with a lighter, candle, etc. that you can control precisely. the instant the adhesive releases the tip top will pop off from the rubber band tension removing any chance you will overheat the blank tip. Blow on the tip to cool it, put tip top cement in the new tip top tube and heat till it melts, put on the blank and align quickly, a few seconds later the cement will set, and you are good to go fishing.

Thanks for everyone’s reply! Especially the tips - like on using a rubber band to remove the old tip. Really helpful stuff! I have replaced a few tips but it has always been kinda rudimentary although each one gets nicer. 

thanks again! Anymore tips are always welcome. I’m going to measure and order a new tip top online…  thanks again!