horsefly

Cape Cod trip

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Going to make my first trip to Cape Cod next year. For some reason I have never gone so want to go before I get any older. Wondering if anyone could give advice as to best area to stay, hotels, and fishing. Going to be a trip with the wife so really want to be able to wander around and see the area, but also get in a day or two fishing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also was thinking of going in the late spring, early summer, before July 4. Fished Marthas Vineyard at that time frame and fishing was good with no big crowds. If anyone has a local guide you have had experience with that would be great. Thanks.

Hopefully you can make it up here - at that time of year, I'd think south side of the cape - from Falmouth out to Hyannis. May is not only a good time for bass in general, but good if you like some versatility in searching for them in a variety of environments and with a variety of techniques...They'll be in the inlets, off the beaches and back in the saltwater ponds...regarding the latter, it's a good time of year to catch some worm hatch stripers, which is one of my favorite times of the early season (talking about Mid may and beyond).

A variety of Buzzards Bay locations would be a distant second choice for me...North side of the cape, timing is everything and it while it can be very good, I wouldn't start booking that side until very end of May or into June

Spring tides back end of May is when the Brit teams start to arrive. After June 15 th parking gets to be difficult. Your wife is bound to love Chatham and plenty of fishing in the immediate area,

mike

14 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Spring tides back end of May is when the Brit teams start to arrive. After June 15 th parking gets to be difficult. Your wife is bound to love Chatham and plenty of fishing in the immediate area,

mike

If not MV which is good fishing in early June, my vote goes with Mike - Chatham. Beautiful town and plenty of areas to fish. 

Beware!  A trip the the Cape is the first step to true addiction!  Especially in May or October when the crowds are absent.

We’ve been going to the Cape for the last 15 yrs for stripers from the shore with fly rods.  Eight guys…all getting pretty long in the tooth.

We go for a week and have gone from mid May through mid June…always stay on the south side or in Buzzards.  
The last few years we’ve gone early to mid June.  Fishing hasn’t been as good as our trips in mid to late May.  The crowds start to increase and the parking gets more challenging as June rolls in as well.  This year we’re going in mid May.

The weather is always unpredictable.  Hot days, freezing days, nor’easters…always a crap shoot.

We always rent a place from either AirBnB, VRBO, WeNeedaVacation, etc on the water.  Lots of reasonably priced places in May.  

I usually go back in October with my wife and pup.  We’ve done the hotel thing but it just pales in comparison to staying on the water. 

When you figure out where and when you’re going, feel free to PM me and I’ll pass on some of our spots near to where you’re staying..

Bruce

I plan on doing the same. I’ve frequented the cape numerous times but never with the fly rod. I even got my wife a grift certificate to Chatham bars inn spa so I’m guaranteed a chance to go up

Camp at Nickerson State Park in Brewster. Inexpensive, minutes from the Brewster flats, close to Nauset, Chatham, etc. The ponds there have trout, largemouth and lots of smallmouth (I got one there over 4# on fly. 

It never really dawned on me that there would be freshwater fishing on the Cape. Good to know, Thank You. Also, whenever I plan any vacation with my wife, not that I go on vacations without her, I always make sure I go someplace she likes also.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

It never really dawned on me that there would be freshwater fishing on the Cape. Good to know, Thank You. Also, whenever I plan any vacation with my wife, not that I go on vacations without her, I always make sure I go someplace she likes also.

Actually there's a freshwater pond for everyday in the year.Tecnically.

Heading out in a little while to attack a couple of ponds for the afternoon.4wt in hand.

Edited by theshadow