Saltfruit

New to Apartment Living - Storing Gear?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

This thread is aimed at the apartment, small conjoined townhome and otherwise low on property anglers.

Just moved to a new place with the lady, (first time I've lived in an APT) and I'm looking to see what storage methods other guys use.

We're on the 3rd floor, got a balcony wi/closet + a corner of our office to use.

Thinking my rods should stay indoors, wet gear goes into the balcony closet, and I've got a double set of mesh wire drawers to store other gear.

Thoughts? Pics of your own devisements? 

(Most) input appreciated.

I don’t live in an apartment but store my gear as such. I’m thinking two piece rods are a must. 
I wash everything down after use, dry out side, which in your case could be the balcony, and everything goes in a larger plastic bin.This also makes it easier carrying gear out to your vehicle. Waders get folded, jacket on top of that, and belt and bag on top. I have a smaller bag which carries all the  smaller items like necklights, gloves, tape, extra batteries or whatever you need, and everything fits easily in the back of my truck. 

As a fellow apartment dweller, I have found that keeping as much gear as possible in my car during the season is imperative. I have small plastic bins in the back of my hatchback for assorted plugs, replacement hooks/hardware/leaders, and a large plastic bin for waders. Fresh water can be carried with you in a tightly covered 5 gal bucket to rinse off some gear in parking lots before coming up to the apartment. Many times, my rod and reel is the only thing that is taken in and out of my car, and I am currently working on a ceiling storage rod system for my studio apartment.

However, I do not live or park in areas where I would be very susceptible to car break-ins. If this is a concern, maybe keeping gear in the car isn't as good an option...

2 3 4 piece rods are your new friends. Can be stowed anywhere when broken down and dry.

Reels when not in use, can be put into a shelf display in wall or corner wall of a empty space.

Or a nice looking slender glass viewable cabinet would also work, again, shoved into corner. Rods can also fit into them.

Posted (edited)

I used to wash my waders and rods/reels in the shower and dry them over the shower curtain rod - the lady looooved that

After everything was dry I’d neatly fold waders, fold surf top, put in closet and top it with surf bag, boga, boots etc to keep it folded flat. Rods in closet, make sure the guides won’t get caught on anything else coming in and out of closet if it’s multi use.  Maybe gently rubber band the pieces together to help avoid damage.  plastic tubs are also a great storage option, and plastic containers to keep hooks away from anything else are a must. 

All just sort of common sense and organization.  Gotta make due with what ya have 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

It makes the sport interesting for sure. I live in a 1 bed apt in Brooklyn with limited storage. I also don't own a car. Below I'll list a few things that I've found useful. 

- Get 50/50 split rods

- Stop stockpiling gear 

- Install a hosepipe outside so you can hose down gear, some hooks to hang things on too 

- Get a Roomba - your apartment will get sandy 

The one thing I want to emphasize the most here is reducing excessive gear. I would buy plugs and equipment just to have it, most of it just sat and never got used taking up valuable space. I made a rule that if I don't use something I'll part ways with it. It's pointless having things take up space that don't get used and figured it would be better put to use by someone else. Since I moved into this spot I've decreased the amount of equipment I had by about 50% and honestly I feel so much more efficient for doing so. Hope this helps

3 hours ago, XBMX said:

First thought is the difficulty of storing triditionall 9 and 10ft surf rods.

I don't own one pieces longer than 8' for smaller car reasons, but now it's even more pertinent.

2 hours ago, CutGrassCatchBass said:

As a fellow apartment dweller, I have found that keeping as much gear as possible in my car during the season is imperative. I have small plastic bins in the back of my hatchback for assorted plugs, replacement hooks/hardware/leaders, and a large plastic bin for waders. Fresh water can be carried with you in a tightly covered 5 gal bucket to rinse off some gear in parking lots before coming up to the apartment. Many times, my rod and reel is the only thing that is taken in and out of my car, and I am currently working on a ceiling storage rod system for my studio apartment.

However, I do not live or park in areas where I would be very susceptible to car break-ins. If this is a concern, maybe keeping gear in the car isn't as good an option...

That's become a standard practice for me.

Other than rods/reels, most of my gear stays in the trunk.

I'm trying to find a solid rod rack, but it seems not many fit the needs of the angler with multiple 2-piece surf rods.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

It makes the sport interesting for sure. I live in a 1 bed apt in Brooklyn with limited storage. I also don't own a car. Below I'll list a few things that I've found useful. 

- Get 50/50 split rods

- Stop stockpiling gear 

- Install a hosepipe outside so you can hose down gear, some hooks to hang things on too 

- Get a Roomba - your apartment will get sandy 

The one thing I want to emphasize the most here is reducing excessive gear. I would buy plugs and equipment just to have it, most of it just sat and never got used taking up valuable space. I made a rule that if I don't use something I'll part ways with it. It's pointless having things take up space that don't get used and figured it would be better put to use by someone else. Since I moved into this spot I've decreased the amount of equipment I had by about 50% and honestly I feel so much more efficient for doing so. Hope this helps

Oh my. The 50/50 split equation which is my #1 gripe with surfcasters rods.

I strongly second the excess gear mantra. I didn't have too much extra, but after moving I realize just how much I own that will only ever apply to 1-2 trips out of the year.

The cutback is in process....

2 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Are there any 24/7 storage facilities nearby?

Pricing isn't reasonable.

I spend enough money on fishing - a separate storage would be pretty frivolous.

I should perhaps clarify - I'm not suffering a dearth of space, but creative options for maximizing it wouldn't hurt.

12 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Pricing isn't reasonable.

I spend enough money on fishing - a separate storage would be pretty frivolous.

I should perhaps clarify - I'm not suffering a dearth of space, but creative options for maximizing it wouldn't hurt.

Where are you storing all your furniture/appliances/tools/pots and pans/grill/fishing gear since the move?