Busanga

Which hand do you use to reel

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

You do what's feels better for you. I'm right handed, so I hold the rod with my stronger more dominant hand, retrieve with the left. There's no right or wrong, up to the angler...

I have aurther itis in my left wrist and thumb ( right handed) there's no way I could fish all day with my left hand .

So all of my reels now are left hand retrieve. 

thanks guys in the bst !!

On 11/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, Captain Lew said:

Right handed, but I use left hand reels on spinning and conventional.

Small baitcaster I use left or right hand. Large conventional RH only. I'm right handed.

Right handed and have to wind with my left. If I wind with my right I look like I’m having a seizure. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Vg8 said:

Right handed and have to wind with my left. If I wind with my right I look like I’m having a seizure. 

hahahaha me too or looks like i am doing something i cant write in public...

Edited by Busanga

I’m right handed and reel with my left for both spinning and conventional.  I started with spinning when I was a kid and can’t get used to reeling with my right hand on conventional. 

I reel everything with my right hand - never understood the whole switching hands thing that most guys do

On 11/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, MikeMc said:

Same here. I want my dominant hand on the rod. 

I cast right handed with both types of reels, too. I see people casting right handed with right hand conventionals, then have to switch hands to reel. Never made much sense to me. 

l'm left handed, being left handed it's easier to adopt been doing it all my life.

Spinning reel with my left hand.

Conventional, l reel with my right hand and cast over my right shoulder, l can cast over my left but not as fluidly as over my right shoulder that's because 90% of my casting was done with spinning rods, yes l have to switch hands but it became second nature l don't have to think about it, it just happens without thinking about it. 

My right hand has been almost as strong as my left because leftys have to deal with tools designed for righties. no regrets. 

Over complicated response to a simple question: In general, righties are more dexterous with their right arm/hand so they use that arm/hand to be the dominant during the cast, then making for a seamless transition in keeping the rod in the same hand and just bringing your left hand up to the reel. Also the ability to manipulate the rod with twitches and jerks is likely to be easier or come more naturally with the right. Also since the right arm is usually stronger (wink wink) supporting the rod during a fight is better than having all the right hand pressure on the reel. With conventional set-ups its (usually) less rod action and its more about being able to reel fast and/or really crank down on a fish so the right hand strength comes largely into play here. For lefties it the opposite... Usually.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, Busanga said:

Which hand do you use to reel in

I am right handed..

Wth conventionals i use my right

With spinners i use my left

not sure why that is, it just feels strange reeling with my right with a spinner

same

Posted (edited)

Left for both. To me the hand doing the casting is in charge of accuracy and finesse. I think this stems from growing up playing baseball, other eye hand sports and freshwater bass fishing with spinner baits…zip it out there.

When I fish the hand casting is in control. The hand reeling is workin in conjunction with the dominant hand. Jigging, popping, twitching, my right hand is controlling the lure. The left is supporting that cadence. 
Never understood the switch…especially with anything of size or long butt section.

Edited by Pearl Bomber

On 11/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, EBHarvey said:

I reel everything with my right hand - never understood the whole switching hands thing that most guys do

So you cast with your left? I cast with my right and reel with my left. 

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

So you cast with your left? I cast with my right and reel with my left. 

well, you're right handed.

freak.