Which hand do you use to reel

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Which hand do you use to reel in

I am right handed..

Wth conventionals i use my right

With spinners i use my left

not sure why that is, it just feels strange reeling with my right with a spinner

Edited by Busanga

i guess with surf casting for a right hand guy , the handle on the left keeps it away from the body when doing powerful casts

hate to say it but do what feels comfortable to you. I reel with left hand when using spinning tackle. 

44 mins ago, Busanga said:

I am right handed..

not sure why that is, it just feels strange reeling with my right with a spinner

Same here. 

And fly reels I reel with my right hand as well. 

51 mins ago, Busanga said:

I am right handed..

Same

most probably comes from pulling in pelagics with conventionals so use both hands to power rod and reel fast with right. But i grew up light spinning , not surf casting, so held rod and reel in right hand and flipped lures, reeled in with left in one motion, so to speak.. muscle memory has formed.

I am left handed. With conventional I reel with my right. With spinners, my left. I tried reeling spinners with my right and could never get used to it. 

Posted (edited)

i am right handed

spin - left

revolving spool - right

Skinner-style fluke setup - left

fly - left

Edited by flyangler

Spinning reels- left hand on the handle

Surf conventionals- right hand on the handle

Offshore/boat conventionals (30, 50, 80, etc)- right hand on the handle

Freshwater/light saltwater Baitcasters & smaller conventional level winds- left or right, prefer right

Fly & centrepin- left hand on handle 

2 hours ago, Busanga said:

With conventionals I use my right

With spinners I use my left

I do the same. For larger conventials I use right handed reels. But anything that is constant cast and retrieve (plugging) is left handed reels whether it's a spinning reel or a baitcaster. 

But as others have mentioned it's all a personal preference. I recall when I was going to my my first baitcaster in 1983, a Shimano Bantam Mag Plus 251 SG. I asked my Dad about it because all my spinning reels were setup left handed (as a right handed person) as it felt the most comfortable. I said let me get this strait, I should buy a right handed retrieve, cast with my right hand then switch it into my left hand to retrieve? He was like yes, that made no sense to me at the time. To this day I'm glad I stuck with my preference, the rod never leave my right hand. I can't tell you how many times this has gone through my head when casting a plug that is struck immediately as it hits the water. 

I am right handed

Rod in right hand reeling with left hand for spinning and convention. I can do right hand reeling for conventional and it doesn’t feel to weird, but I prefer rod in right hand reeling with left