flyangler

BLACKTIPH has cancer

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For those who don’t recognize the name in the title, you can move on to another story, this won’t mean much. 

Josh's videos have provided many thousands of hours of viewing enjoyment to fans and casual viewers around the world. Even his detractors seem to be regular viewers of his videos.  Even here on SOL he has both admirers and detractors. 

Josh happens to be a personal friend for over a decade, back when he was strictly a beach shark angler with a lipstick cam attached to his hat (pre GoPro). Over the year I and my family have come to know him better than most who only know him through his videos. Sure, he has his quirks, harbors some radical views and is a relentless brand promoter, but he is a genuinely good and spiritual person at heart.   

Anyway, Josh has advanced cancer, has had emergency surgery and is currently undergoing chemo. He told me a couple weeks before he went public and my wife and I had him over for dinner a week before the chemo started. His spirits were high and he was leaning heavily on his faith to get through this. For those so inclined, consider directing a prayer or just good vibes in his direction.

This is pre-chemo when he let the world know what was ahead for him. 

Edited by flyangler

55 mins ago, flyangler said:

For those who don’t recognize the name in the title, you can move on to another story, this won’t mean much. 

Josh's videos have provided many thousands of hours of viewing enjoyment to fans and casual viewers around the world. Even his detractors seem to be regular viewers of his videos.  Even here on SOL he has both admirers and detractors. 

Josh happens to be a personal friend for over a decade, back when he was strictly a beach shark angler with a lipstick cam attached to his hat (pre GoPro). Over the year I and my family have come to know him better than most who only know him through his videos. Sure, he has his quirks, harbors some radical views and is a relentless brand promoter, but he is a genuinely good and spiritual person at heart.   

Anyway, Josh has advanced cancer, has had emergency surgery and is currently undergoing chemo. He told me a couple weeks before he went public and my wife and I had him over for dinner a week before the chemo started. His spirits were high and he was leaning heavily on his faith to get through this. For those so inclined, consider directing a prayer or just good vibes in his direction.

This is pre-chemo when he let the world know what was ahead for him. 

I saw that video a couple weeks ago. That really sucks. What type of cancer does he have?

14 mins ago, z-man said:

I saw that video a couple weeks ago. That really sucks. What type of cancer does he have?

It is not my place to say, but it is a male-specific cancer with a very good recovery profile. His was just caught later than it might have.

Here's his update which dropped yesterday. He has always been a man of very strong faith but has kept that off his fishing videos so this might come as a surprise to some of his fans. 

10 mins ago, flyangler said:

It is not my place to say, but it is a male-specific cancer with a very good recovery profile. His was just caught later than it might have.

Here's his update which dropped yesterday. He has always been a man of very strong faith but has kept that off his fishing videos so this might come as a surprise to some of his fans. 

Hopefully he can beat it. 

Sorry for your friend.  If it is male specific and prostate he will be fine. 

It sucks, for sure.

24 mins ago, Tom T said:

Sorry for your friend.  If it is male specific and prostate he will be fine. 

It sucks, for sure.

He looks young for the prostate C. Probably testicular if I had to guess. 

My old man was very advanced stage lymphoma (Hodgkins.) Originally from the testes. Would have gone undetected even longer had the one tumor not pressed painfully against his pancreas & spine. 

He pulled through thank god. Had a recurrence. Beat that. That was early 90s and this guy looks healthier than my Dad. Lol.

The treatments have serious long term effects but those are good problems compared with the current one. (And hopefully the modern versions of chemo are less damaging overall & more targeted.)

Fingers crossed. 

Thanks for sharing. Thoughts & prayers. 

He is the only fishing youtuber I can tolerate. Wishing him a speedy recovery. 

First I've heard of it, but this is awful. Glimmer of sunshine that the prognosis is good. Keep up with your appointments, people.