KCoffey

Hobie Pro angler w/ scuffed up sides: Ideas to fix?

27 posts in this topic

I have a 2016 Hobie fishing kayak (Hobie Pro angler 14). Hobie kayaks are made of linear polyethylene. In its use, the sides have gotten scuffed up, since I have to turn the kayak on its side to insert the wheeled cart for moving it. Does anyone know of a product that would smooth out the scuffed areas? The Pro Angler is an amazing boat. I kind of live in it (til winter, at least).

Get a heat gun and a rubber roller, heat up the plastic around a scratch until it starts to melt then roll it over. It's time consuming if there's a lot of damage but when you're done it'll look much better. Worked at a kayak shop for a while and this is what we did to fix scratches.

Is your kayak leaking? If it's getting scuffed on the sides due to normal use and you're worried about it wearing through, get some kydex sheeting and armor it. 

No, really minimal damage, but I am so attached to this boat I want to have it looking its best, like a candy apple red 57 Chevy. 

11 hours ago, KCoffey said:

No, really minimal damage, but I am so attached to this boat I want to have it looking its best, like a candy apple red 57 Chevy. 

PE is really not meant to be maintained, and it's absurdly tough. We all gather cosmetic wear and tear, and I'm not just talking about the boats! IMO get over it, but I also don't fix minor car body damage, living in the city I'll just get more. Just like a boat you fish in. 

16 mins ago, gellfex said:

PE is really not meant to be maintained, and it's absurdly tough. We all gather cosmetic wear and tear, and I'm not just talking about the boats! IMO get over it, but I also don't fix minor car body damage, living in the city I'll just get more. Just like a boat you fish in. 

You should see my 2010 Prius, banged up on 4 sides, duct tape on all corners. Smashed taillight (but it works). The kayak is a different matter. I want to honor its service to me. 

19 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

How about a wrap like they do on cars? Big O’ sticker to cover the marks. May have to sand it flat tho

Good idea, just not my thing

For what it's worth, kydex (at least what I bought) is way tougher than the plastic hobie molds their hulls from. At least in 2015 it was. 

My boat doesn't look great, but the kydex is wearing like iron. If you could see the gouges and cuts in my hull from before the armor... Yeesh. I tie this off to bridge squares and dock pilings pretty frequently so I needed a solution to increase my durability and absorb wear and tear. This was before I armored the next 2' up towards the bow. It needed it. 

20220731_200809.jpg.95f18ba66871b28dd868d670c4b8460c.jpg

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

Agree, except if you've worn through the paint. It's what keeps the sheet metal from rotting away. 

Be real careful using a heat gun or any other type of direct heat being applied. You can go from warm to something so soft and then to deforming the kayak. 

I’ve never worried about scratches on a kayak. If they are deep that’s a different story, but normal use is nothing. 

36 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Be real careful using a heat gun or any other type of direct heat being applied. You can go from warm to something so soft and then to deforming the kayak. 

I’ve never worried about scratches on a kayak. If they are deep that’s a different story, but normal use is nothing. 

Thanks for the warning. Will take it VERY EASY

Be aware any adequate heat to smooth scratches will mar that factory shine the mold created. The repair may be more noticeable than the scratches.

Since it’s not the bottom of the yak, a red tinted auto wax/ scratch repair may do a better job of hiding the scratches than heat.