Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Another Cod Report

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Finally, after, several cancelations due to weather, I made it out! Went out on the Yankee Patriot out of Gloucester Mass.

Before leaving the dock, Captain Phil Hoysradt gave us the scoop. He lamented the weather, rough seas and are marginal ability to catch fish in bad conditions. He also made a point to announce that Cod must be 21" or greater,only two hooks are permitted per line, that sale of recreational fish is unlawful, and that those who choose to ignore this will have a wellcoming commitee in green uniforms waiting for them at the dock!

As we passed Thatchers Island the swells were cookin' at a good 8-10 ft. As we made our way to Middlebank the swells stared to knock down from the wind now coming from the SW. The first few drifts looked bleak as only one short cod came up!

With the seas deminishing and a near gale forcasted in the afternoon we went off to the restricted zone(Recreational Fishing vessels only). The next two drifts were an all out "Chinese Fire Drill". Several drifts later the cooler was leveled! Market Cod from 5-10 lbs. Having the day made, Capt Phil left the restricted zone back to the Shoal Water on Middlebank. We made a couple of productive drifts and my partner and I rounded out another 1/2 potato sack. Our tally for the day a combined 30 keepers for my friend Don and I. Pool fish was a typical 14 pound fish. All in all a good day! Fish gobbled up Pink Twister tail Teasers fished 24" above Svoloken 40B Jigs(10 oz).

No Worms in these fish! I bled every fish and was rewarded with a nice bag of snow white fillets. Sat night I had a fish fry. Had two guests who were "Not fish eaters" who proceded to devour nearly a pound of fillets each! I have fished cod from NY to Maine and found the best eating cod on these grounds!

A side note! The Commercials are pissed with the closing of this area! The mates from the Yankee Fleet are not wellcomed at any of the local watering holes. Many have wondered into the wrong places have been thrown serious beatings by the crews of the gillnetters and draggers that frequent the waterfront saloons. Kinda like the "Cod Wars" they depicted on National Geographic!

Two show you how effective gillnetting is... Last year the fishing was also as good. The Banks were opened up to Commercials on May 1. On May 3rd the banks were devoid of life! No readings, nothing! The party boats steamed to Jeffreys to continue the season. Stellwagon was done! Two months after the commercial quota was filled, the deeper part of the banks started seeing some life again with the fall run being OK.

BAD NEWS from the north, a friend went out on a charter leaving from Revere , they headed out to STELLWAGON .............................................. 2 fish total for the entire boat.terrible huh??that was on Sat.

What a difference a day makes! Friday was "A Window of Opportunity". Friday afternoon the wind came up Hard! Those Six pack charter boats probably had to stay inshore. The majority of our catch Friday came from the Eastern(Offshore) part of the Restriced Zone. The inshore part of the banks was not doing it.

Can't wait to get out again!