albacized

MA fly fishers - new Orvis shop in Wellesley

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to give a heads up that a new Orvis shop has opened in Wellesley, in that plaza on Linden St (I think it’s in the space where California Pizza was located)...I haven’t been in there yet, but it will be another convenient option if I need a fly fishing item on the fly (although I don’t think it’ll be replacing bears den for the bulk amount of my fly fishing shopping)...so there’s your FYI

Edited by albacized

On 11/6/2022 at 6:57 AM, albacized said:

Just wanted to give a heads up that a new Orvis shop has opened in Wellesley, in that plaza on Linden St (I think it’s in the space where California Pizza was located)...I haven’t been in there yet, but it will be another convenient option if I need a fly fishing item on the fly (although I don’t think it’ll be replacing bears den for the bulk amount of my fly fishing shopping)...so there’s your FYI

That's good news. There was one in Dedham for a few years in the Legacy Place shopping area. I used to grab a fly pattern from them once in a while. I'll still be buying fly tying  materials from Bears Den. But if i'm in a hurry, Wellesley is a lot closer to me than Tauton, when I need something I don't have time to tie.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:26 AM, z-man said:

Of course it’s in Wellesley. Orvis clientele wouldn’t want to travel to a poor community

It's more that Orvis wouldn't setup shop in a poor community and risk profitability... interesting how you viewed that. 

5 mins ago, Wizumz said:

It's more that Orvis wouldn't setup shop in a poor community and risk profitability... interesting how you viewed that. 

Yeah, unless it's next to a Destination location, no high end fly shop will survive without the affluent clientele. 

Now that we have legal weed dispensaries, there's no reason affluent people would be wandering around poor neighborhoods.

Regardless of what neighborhood an Orvis store chooses to locate, are they're still enough fly fishermen out there to support it?

Bob Benson's store in Yarmouth threw in the towel.   I rarely see anyone fly fishing saltwater these days.   Speaking for myself, I have a whole ceiling full of T&Ts, Sages and TFOs, and a draw full of Bauer, Valentine, and Scientific Angler reels gathering dust, waiting to be used.

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Regardless of what neighborhood an Orvis store chooses to locate, are they're still enough fly fishermen out there to support it?

Bob Benson's store in Yarmouth threw in the towel.   I rarely see anyone fly fishing saltwater these days.   Speaking for myself, I have a whole ceiling full of T&Ts, Sages and TFOs, and a draw full of Bauer, Valentine, and Scientific Angler reels gathering dust, waiting to be used.

Send me any you would like to sell :)

Would put those to use real quick here! Tons of saltwater fly rodders here in ct

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Judging by the turnout for the Cheeky Tournament every year I'd say there's still plenty of us out there

50 mins ago, bob_G said:

Got any 8wt reels you're looking to sell? Asking for a friend...

3 hours ago, Wizumz said:

Same thing. 

Anyone know if true fly shop or more of a clothing store?    Many years ago there was an orvis in wellesley.   Surprised they are bringing one back.