BrianBM

Assateague or Hatteras?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Which one gives you the best shot at drum? (Probably Hatteras).

Which one gives you the best shot at stripers? (I'm guessing Assateague.)

Which one gives you a reasonable shot at both?

You're about right on your assumptions I'd say. I've personally never heard of many stripers being caught off the beach in OBX. But I don't hear of many stripers being caught off the beaches up here either. I know people used to catch more stripers on the beach, but they are much more elusive now it seems. Regardless, I think if you want a chance to catch a striper AI would be better. I know guys catch monster drum in both places. Never been to NC/OBX, but from what I've read the fishing down there is more redfish oriented than up here. 

Posted (edited)

15 years ago there were great striper runs in the fall and winter at Hatteras. But they seem to stop migrating down that far for some reason. And AI was a great place for the spring striper run and pretty good for the fall run but they are much more scarce now. Probably Jersey is the hot spot now.

Drum can be had at both places obviously, the AI fall season precedes the hatteras season.  I used to fish Hatteras for drum. And did pretty well, but after the park service joined the Audubon society in an unholy alliance and closed much of the beach at hatteras, I just go to AI for the occasional fall drum . I think there's more at Hatteras.

However, AI is the only place where I have caught large drum and large stripers on the same tide :-)

Edited by Steve Coleman

It all depends on temperatures. A colder winter pushes the stripers further south. I have been at the Point when stripers were caught north of the Point and puppies were caught south. I have also been there when it was all stripers north and south.

On 11/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, BrianBM said:

Which one gives you a reasonable shot at both?

They both do!

My buddy and I doubled up last November on AI.

I also caught both in OBX Thanksgiving week 2017.

12 hours ago, SteveZ said:

Best to go where the damn beach might be open...

There is that .... but openings and closures can happen fast, and on short notice.

Wheeler, good for you. I'm guessing that you wee chunking both times? Bunker or mullet?

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Wheeler, good for you. I'm guessing that you wee chunking both times? Bunker or mullet?

Both of the AI fish last year were on frozen spot chunks (all that was available at the time).

The striper in OBX was on a swim shad paddletail (they were chasing a school of bunker)

The drum in OBX was on cut-bait Im sure, but no idea what anymore.

Here's a thought, equally applicable to Hatteras/OBX and to Assateague.

At least in spring, it's possible to find (theoretically) both cobia and red drum. The cobia like following rays, which are easier to spot. And they are supposed to like eels.

1) If you have a chunk in the water, would it be prudent to have an eel (rigged, on ice, or plastic) on a second rod in case you spot a ray go by, and want to be able to tempt any cobia that comes by?

2) It's a terrible payload for casting any distance, but what about a rigged eel? For both species? I haven't seen anyone selling eels at either location, so a tourist angler would have to bring them down from the north. But drum are mainly scent feeders, eels are fished along the bottom, and cobia are too, often as not.

The main objection I see (besides whether this is remotely practical) is that the flat, shallow bottom in both places isn't conducive to short-casting fishing. This would be best done near an inlet, where a short cast might reach deeper water. Someone must've thought of this, and done it.

Gentlemen?   

Posted (edited)

Cobia will take a chunk which is probably more practical on AI. And you are probably going to get them as by-catch fishing for other stuff. My buddy and I were fishing together one time and he got a 48” cobia. We thought it was a ray forever, so glad he insisted on seeing it before considering a break off. We had drum, medium sandbars and the cobia all mixed together. There was a mind boggling amount of Spanish mackerel and rain-bait inside the bar all day long and some Albies too. We had a couple of screaming runs that broke off after he got it, all of them were cobia (in our heads). 

This was one of my double-ups. I had to pick which one I would take and which I would give to my buddy. I chose wrong, he got the drum and I got the shark bite-off. I give him a hard time about it, he got the cobia and my drum. Heck of a day though. 

0B4E3893-DEBA-46D6-BB2E-04F1D384E663.jpeg

Edited by Springer