stifftip

Pulaski have u been

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I’m going to the salmon river Monday for a week. ?  Has anyone been there for steelhead yet .  Conditions look ok  , it’s kinda early , but I think the lower River will be alright? Maybe. Has anyone been there yet .

Look at the douglaston salmon tun website they have daily reports on the river. You don’t need to stay at the lodge to acess the reports on the website or buy a permit to fish the upper river

I was there a week or two ago and I saw 2 steelhead in total, never hooked up and didn’t see anybody else catch hook up to any steelhead. I talked to a couple guys who said over the course of a couple days they caught one or two. There was a fair amount of salmon still but I assume they have thinned out a lot over the past couple weeks. I’m sure the steelhead fishing has improved somewhat since then. It was pretty early when I went. Like Callmefish said, check out the Douglaston salmon run reports. Good luck up there.

I was there 6-11 nov conditions were to warm water was low and 50* it was like late season salmon conditions  and still a leaf hatch also all the fish that were caught were small scouts    

The steelhead have moved in and headed up river. Most guide boats are doing fish in Altmar . Water temps are right. Always best after Thanksgiving 

Just got back. Fished 1/2 Thursday and full day Friday.  I only caught 2 suckers.  No steelhead for me.  But I saw a few being caught Friday afternoon in the middle of the DSR by guys running center pin setups.  Sucks I couldn’t connect but still enjoy going. Might try to go back up over the winter and going to plan a spring stop.

Every day and a trip is a learning,Always take some time to watch whose doing good ethically, Where in water, seams usually are best,There are lots of places up river with few guys and these spots change by the time of day!

On 11/15/2022 at 1:21 PM, linesiderdemdnj said:

I was there 11/11-11/12. I caught 9 steelhead total. Good time on the fly rod. 

here is a pic of one

I’m 

I may reconsider the  spot  is it above school house pool 

A group of us chased November N.Y. Steelhead on the Salmon River 11/6-11/13 once again this fall. November has been our choice of month for many years. We choose November for our annual planned trip mainly because the Steelhead are at their very best physically when they 1st leave Lake Ontario and begin to enter the river. The battles are always tough and memorable from these fish. The photo of the fish below went airborne numerous times and made some runs to remember for its size. The leaves are off the trees and the water temperature is favorable for actively feeding fish making our odds for success more favorable. 

During this trip we had unusually warm temperatures through the 1st 4 days. I cannot ever remember a night, prior to this Pulaski trip, when the furnace did not come on overnight. The river water temperature was in the lower to mid 50’s. These kind of temperatures cause the Steelhead to seek the fastest oxygenated water and required us to adjust our tactics in order to be successful. The big slow pools were devoid of fish so we targeted the fast bubbly water that was at least knee deep. It was here that we had all of our success this year. 

Various flies were successful this year as is usually the case. Egg patterns, stonefly nymphs, caddis larvae, wooly buggers, sucker spawn and egg sucking leeches all fooled fish.

There will be more opportunities throughout the upcoming winter for a spontaneous trip, we have made these many times. We look for a 3 day window of above 32 degree temperatures. More than that is unusual for the area. Our tactics will change but our passion and excitement will remain the same. 

0C31ED25-ADE3-4478-9831-5318E461ED80.jpeg

2 hours ago, steingm said:

A group of us chased November N.Y. Steelhead on the Salmon River 11/6-11/13 once again this fall. November has been our choice of month for many years. We choose November for our annual planned trip mainly because the Steelhead are at their very best physically when they 1st leave Lake Ontario and begin to enter the river. The battles are always tough and memorable from these fish. The photo of the fish below went airborne numerous times and made some runs to remember for its size. The leaves are off the trees and the water temperature is favorable for actively feeding fish making our odds for success more favorable. 

During this trip we had unusually warm temperatures through the 1st 4 days. I cannot ever remember a night, prior to this Pulaski trip, when the furnace did not come on overnight. The river water temperature was in the lower to mid 50’s. These kind of temperatures cause the Steelhead to seek the fastest oxygenated water and required us to adjust our tactics in order to be successful. The big slow pools were devoid of fish so we targeted the fast bubbly water that was at least knee deep. It was here that we had all of our success this year. 

Various flies were successful this year as is usually the case. Egg patterns, stonefly nymphs, caddis larvae, wooly buggers, sucker spawn and egg sucking leeches all fooled fish.

There will be more opportunities throughout the upcoming winter for a spontaneous trip, we have made these many times. We look for a 3 day window of above 32 degree temperatures. More than that is unusual for the area. Our tactics will change but our passion and excitement will remain the same. 

0C31ED25-ADE3-4478-9831-5318E461ED80.jpeg

Were you in the fishing club from mass?  My buddy and I talked to a few guys who were part of a big group.