Jump to content

CMS to close April 2023?

Rate this topic


bob_G

Recommended Posts

This is what happens when people push Chinese ODM rods. 
 

CMS is a great shop. I am surprised no one else is stepping up to take over. Competent people there, with experience, inventory and a well equipped shop. My love for rod building is over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ged said:

This is what happens when people push Chinese ODM rods. 
 

CMS is a great shop. I am surprised no one else is stepping up to take over. Competent people there, with experience, inventory and a well equipped shop. My love for rod building is over. 

Same goes for Cape Cod Charlies and Buzzards Bait.  M&Ds was for sale for quite a while before it was bought.  So many small shops have closed up in the past few years as the owners retire, try to sell  them and find out nobody wants to work any more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Same goes for Cape Cod Charlies and Buzzards Bait.  M&Ds was for sale for quite a while before it was bought.  So many small shops have closed up in the past few years as the owners retire, try to sell  them and find out nobody wants to work any more

Gary's lease wasn't renewed after the property was sold. As far as Buzzards Bait goes, about all it had going for it was fresh pogies. The selection of tackle was limited, and old school bait shops are relics of the past. For better or worse, this is the age of the gear heads.

I'm actually surprised that Mike lasted as long as he did. It was just him and Barbara, 7 days a week most of the year, after Felicia left for college. Can't blame a guy for wanting a life as he gets older. And as far as CMS goes, Charlie wants to retire. As we all hope to some day. 

It's not that no one wants to work. It's the fact that investing money to buy a low profit margin business in uncertain economic times doesn't appeal to most people, or to banks that make small business loans. Charlie never had a problem finding workers. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

Same goes for Cape Cod Charlies and Buzzards Bait.  M&Ds was for sale for quite a while before it was bought.  So many small shops have closed up in the past few years as the owners retire, try to sell  them and find out nobody wants to work any more

Weren't you trying to sell your lead pouring business?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Gary's lease wasn't renewed after the property was sold. As far as Buzzards Bait goes, about all it had going for it was fresh pogies. The selection of tackle was limited, and old school bait shops are relics of the past. For better or worse, this is the age of the gear heads.

I'm actually surprised that Mike lasted as long as he did. It was just him and Barbara, 7 days a week most of the year, after Felicia left for college. Can't blame a guy for wanting a life as he gets older. And as far as CMS goes, Charlie wants to retire. As we all hope to some day. 

It's not that no one wants to work. It's the fact that investing money to buy a low profit margin business in uncertain economic times doesn't appeal to most people, or to banks that make small business loans. Charlie never had a problem finding workers. 

Yeah Mike worked 70hrs a week at least during the season. Working the hours he did 7 days a week I couldn’t do that, no way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...