chisler

BKK Raptor Z

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I just got a box of these things in the mail.  They look like jewelry; shiny, well proportioned, smooth, imposing.    Are these hooks all 'show'?  Do they hold up?  I can see them spooking off certain species becasue of the shine. 

For those who fish(ed) them, what utility do they find in these pretty things?

3 hours ago, Richizzzle said:

I had 3 of the 1/0 snap in half while crushing the barbs. 

That is far from an issue.

Most people don't understand that the barb is part of the hook design.

That's why they make a Raptor barbless.

Just now, scoobydoo said:

That is far from an issue.

Most people don't understand that the barb is part of the hook design.

That's why they make a Raptor barbless.

Dunno, crushed many Mustads and VMCs and never had them just snap in half with a little pressure from pliers.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, chisler said:

I just got a box of these things in the mail.  They look like jewelry; shiny, well proportioned, smooth, imposing.    Are these hooks all 'show'?  Do they hold up?  I can see them spooking off certain species becasue of the shine. 

For those who fish(ed) them, what utility do they find in these pretty things?

The bright finish quickly turns into a satin patina. Similar to bright owner tinned finishes. 

Edited by scoobydoo

4 mins ago, Richizzzle said:

Dunno, crushed many Mustads and VMCs and never had them just snap in half with a little pressure from pliers.

I develop fishing hooks.  

I snapped hundreds from all USDM brands testing to failure at the barb / slice.

Some popped surprisingly early.

It was amazing how inconsistent all brands are from hook to hook when testing..Forged or non forged plays a role as well.

Again...can't fault a failure when you're making a modification which is deliberately causing damage at the weakest point of the hook.

9 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I develop fishing hooks.  

I snapped hundreds from all USDM brands testing to failure at the barb / slice.

Some popped surprisingly early.

It was amazing how inconsistent all brands are from hook to hook when testing..Forged or non forged plays a role as well.

Again...can't fault a failure when you're making a modification which is deliberately causing damage at the weakest point of the hook.

I guess so, just doesn't inspire confidence is all.

I'm probably going to refrain from being an economic @ssclown going forward and stick with the standard kit stuff. 

Yeah, they're good, those BKK trebs. They're recommended by the high-end brands Amegari and Siren (but Siren sells BKK hooks). They are very popular where I am - probably the most popular heavy treble.

I switched to these trebles (mainly in the 2/0 size) after using vmc and mustads..... they are a hair heavy  for their size but incredibly strong, and i cant see one bending or straightening on a striped bass.

After using them i can say this.... they are super strong, but they are brittle. You can not cut them and use them on a lure. You need to use a split ring other wise they will break!!!! They do not have the elasticity of a vmc or mustad.  But they are way stronger, and i cant see myself switching back!

Worth the money in my book..... i also pair them with vmc split rings for extra strength and peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Mr. Eel said:

I switched to these trebles (mainly in the 2/0 size) after using vmc and mustads..... they are a hair heavy  for their size but incredibly strong, and i cant see one bending or straightening on a striped bass.

After using them i can say this.... they are super strong, but they are brittle. You can not cut them and use them on a lure. You need to use a split ring other wise they will break!!!! They do not have the elasticity of a vmc or mustad.  But they are way stronger, and i cant see myself switching back!

Worth the money in my book..... i also pair them with vmc split rings for extra strength and peace of mind.

Stinger trebles are similar from what guys say. I haven’t cut them myself- nor would I cut these BKKs given the cost - but the brittle thing has come up on here. 

My guess is that it’s a high carbon steel which is why they are so sharp and hard, and strong. But seemingly a root of brittleness 

Good hooks, they don’t rust out like mustads/vmc. I’m running the 3/0 on some of my plugs, one hook only and rear flag. They seem to maintain their point after a year of moderate use, strictly open beach fishing. Most hooksets I’ve noticed have been in the jaw almost like a circle hook, in my experience.

Have any of you guys tried the Titan swim bait hooks? I’m wondering how they compare to an Owner Beast hook. Are they better or worse?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, z-man said:

Have any of you guys tried the Titan swim bait hooks? I’m wondering how they compare to an Owner Beast hook. Are they better or worse?

Yes, they are good to go!

Edited by Inshore