Ben217

Downsize my reel

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

so earlier this season I was able to get a really nice deal on a new van staal 200sx. I used it for a bit and love it’s feel and look but…. Part of me thinks I made a mistake with the size of the thing. I’ve been doin some surf fishing but I’ve also been doing some boat fishing and kayak etc. All of which includes me usually ending up in the water with my equipment… yes I fell off a boat but the line snapped and it was a nice fish sooooooo. Anyway usually it’s not even on a true surf rod but more like a do it all 7-8 footer. So part of me thinks I should try to trade it for a smaller version so it fits better with the rod and application. I’d prefer to have a do anything anywhere saltwater reel not just one that excels in one area but struggles and or is cumbersome in another. I’m in college right now so I don’t really have the money to buy multiple quality reels but I am willing (stupid) enough to pay for one . Maybe it’s just buyers remorse or something else but it’s gotten me thinking. I’d love to hear what y’all think, should I downsize? should I stick with my reel? should I stop jumping in after fish that break my line? Let me know! 
-Ben

For surf fishing the below is a good place to start

VSX 150 8-9ft rod

VSX 250 10-11ft rod 

I had a 200 on a 10ft stick for a while too and it paired great 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Ben217 said:

Hey everyone,

so earlier this season I was able to get a really nice deal on a new van staal 200sx. I used it for a bit and love it’s feel and look but…. Part of me thinks I made a mistake with the size of the thing. I’ve been doin some surf fishing but I’ve also been doing some boat fishing and kayak etc. All of which includes me usually ending up in the water with my equipment… yes I fell off a boat but the line snapped and it was a nice fish sooooooo. Anyway usually it’s not even on a true surf rod but more like a do it all 7-8 footer. So part of me thinks I should try to trade it for a smaller version so it fits better with the rod and application. I’d prefer to have a do anything anywhere saltwater reel not just one that excels in one area but struggles and or is cumbersome in another. I’m in college right now so I don’t really have the money to buy multiple quality reels but I am willing (stupid) enough to pay for one . Maybe it’s just buyers remorse or something else but it’s gotten me thinking. I’d love to hear what y’all think, should I downsize? should I stick with my reel? should I stop jumping in after fish that break my line? Let me know! 
-Ben

#1  jumping in after fish...:o

I have a vsx150 and have used it on my 9'6"& 11' rods and it didn't feel out of place on either one. 

Maybe a trade if you don't think the 200 fits for you. 

If it was me I'd try to keep the 200 and get a used 150 especially if the 200 is nice. You Don't want to regret it later on in your fishing adventures. 

Good luck....

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

#1  jumping in after fish...:o

I have a vsx150 and have used it on my 9'6"& 11' rods and it didn't feel out of place on either one. 

Maybe a trade if you don't think the 200 fits for you. 

If it was me I'd try to keep the 200 and get a used 150 especially if the 200 is nice. You Don't want to regret it later on in your fishing adventures. 

Good luck....

15 hours ago, Goose said:

For surf fishing the below is a good place to start

VSX 150 8-9ft rod

VSX 250 10-11ft rod 

I had a 200 on a 10ft stick for a while too and it paired great 

Thanks for the responses! Do you think a 100vsx would be a better fit for a 7-8 do it all set up? 

32 mins ago, Ben217 said:

Thanks for the responses! Do you think a 100vsx would be a better fit for a 7-8 do it all set up? 

A 150 I would say is a more versatile reel than a 100.

37 mins ago, Ben217 said:

Maybe @shark lobster could answer this better than I.

He's got a few different sizes and I've just the 150

For a 7' rod the vsx100 would be perfect for that rod. The 8' on the other hand,  I would use the vsx150, but you can get away with the vsx100 if need be. 

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

In college and buy'in 900.00 reels..........your doin' OK.

I sure as hell didn’t pay anything close to 900, I was lucky enough to be on eBay at the right time right place though! Though still pricey so you’re right.

11 hours ago, Fops said:

For a 7' rod the vsx100 would be perfect for that rod. The 8' on the other hand,  I would use the vsx150, but you can get away with the vsx100 if need be. 

Thanks for the insight! Right now I’m thinking I’ll try to trade my 200vsx for a vsx 100 or 150 on the forums here. Need to become more of a contributing member on the forum here before hand though.

Anyone here have experience with the VSB models? If so would you recommend them? Since I’ll fish a lot on my kayak it might be better to have a bailed version instead.

I bought a VSB150 for fishing live eels from the surf when they first came out.  As some may recall, the 150 was the largest VSB when the bailed versions were first launched. I thought i was going to be undergunned, but it became my go to reel.  I haven’t touched my VS200 or Zeebass 25 since i bought that. That has to be at least 12 years ago now.  I’ve taken fish over #40 with it and abuse the hell out of it.  Only issue I ever had was a broken bolt that connects the knob to the crank and of course it happened while reeling in a nice fish deep on Montauk’s south side.

4 hours ago, Dooley said:

I bought a VSB150 for fishing live eels from the surf when they first came out.  As some may recall, the 150 was the largest VSB when the bailed versions were first launched. I thought i was going to be undergunned, but it became my go to reel.  I haven’t touched my VS200 or Zeebass 25 since i bought that. That has to be at least 12 years ago now.  I’ve taken fish over #40 with it and abuse the hell out of it.  Only issue I ever had was a broken bolt that connects the knob to the crank and of course it happened while reeling in a nice fish deep on Montauk’s south side.

Thanks for the insight! I’m thinking of trading my 200sx for a vsb150 and this definitely puts me in that direction. Thanks for commenting! 

6 hours ago, no name said:

Ben217 don't rule out the VR's. If your not banging the reel on rocks and stuff it is a good reel and a lot cheaper.

I have considered, but I think I’m leaning to getting a used vsb instead. I’m notorious for beating on my gear so I think the sheer bulletproofness of a vsb would suit me better. Let me know if you think otherwise, thanks for commenting!