Cast Away

Bait/chunking setup recommendations

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I only bait fish a few times a year, usually when I take out a friend or family member who doesn’t fish. 

what would you all recommend as an affordable outfit or two? Maybe one 10’ and one 11’ outfit for throwing clams/bunker. Budget $200 per outfit. I’ve read on the Tica tc2 but that doesn’t leave much room for the reel. Anything in the $100 range for rod and $100 for the reel? Maybe a rod from tsunami? 
thanks

Posted (edited)

I have an 11' Ande I use to chuck bait.  It works.  Reel is an Okuma Avenger ABF65.  I very seldom fish with bait.  

Edited by Skunkoff

I have a 10ft Okuma Solaris match with an old Penn 704z. Rod was 35 bucks used and the reel was 40 bucks used. I only changed the drags so far. I let my friends and family members use it. They caught some monster bluefish, cownose rays, and whatever was biting.

If you live near a Bass pro shop, theres tons of their own brand surf rods to choose from. I believe it's the offshore anglers brand. The power stick or breakwater is cost efficient from 9' to 11' to choose from about $100 and up or under. As for a reel, you can't go wrong with a Penn if your bait fishing.  The penn pursuits are way under $100 depending on the size. You can get a full setup brand new for definitely under $200 .

I don't bait fish. But, if I was to start, I would use a  used Luxor/Crack 300 and a  used 11' Super Cutter. $100 should do it.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Cast Away said:

I only bait fish a few times a year, usually when I take out a friend or family member who doesn’t fish. 

what would you all recommend as an affordable outfit or two? Maybe one 10’ and one 11’ outfit for throwing clams/bunker. Budget $200 per outfit. I’ve read on the Tica tc2 but that doesn’t leave much room for the reel. Anything in the $100 range for rod and $100 for the reel? Maybe a rod from tsunami? 
thanks

Are you going to be throwing spinning or conventional?

I would go 12' minimal for your rod with something that can throw at least 6oz and bait.  Look at Penn Prevail or Battalion rods. 

If you are going to be throwing spinning - hard to be beat a Daiwa BG around the 100 dollar price point.

Edited by animalbarrie

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Are you going to be throwing spinning or conventional?

I would go 12' minimal for your rod with something that can throw at least 6oz and bait.  Look at Penn Prevail or Battalion rods. 

If you are going to be throwing spinning - hard to be beat a Daiwa BG around the 100 dollar price point.

Spinning. I’m think the BG with a cheaper penn rod too.

Edited by Cast Away

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, Cast Away said:

Spinning. I’m think the BG with a cheaper penn rod too.

BG is a good move.  Just googled Penn Prevail 12' spinning rod - you can get a Penn Prevail 2 12' for $109 on Walmart.com.

You would be a tick over 200 bucks for the combo unless you can find a used BG under 100 in good shape.  

Edited by animalbarrie

On 11/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, animalbarrie said:

BG is a good move.  Just googled Penn Prevail 12' spinning rod - you can get a Penn Prevail 2 12' for $109 on Walmart.com.

You would be a tick over 200 bucks for the combo unless you can find a used BG under 100 in good shape.  

If your leaders are fresh and your knots tied right the Prevail/BG combo will land anything that takes the bait...

17 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

So, did you wind up getting a combo yet?

EA

Not yet. I haven’t had time to run to a shop to see what they have. I’m leaning towards a couple of BG/prevail combos. Thanks to all for the recommendations.