IRT reels

Rate this topic

plt391

I actually got to use my IRT 300xl for the first time this weekend. Feels like a little tank. I believe they are fully sealed but can't remember right now. My one gripe is that the power knob / handle is SMALL. I banged my knuckles on the handle numerous times while cranking and it got pretty irritating. Going to take some getting used to.

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Tell us more. Why not as a surf reel?

I don't believe they are sealed as well as the other options out there 

regretfully I am a spinning rod and reel junkie 

i have a bit of fly, casting and heavy conventional stuff but I really have a thing for spinning tackle 

I have Vissers, IRT’s, VR’s, VS’s, Stella’s, Saltiga’s, Certate’s , Accurate SR’s etc 

If your looking for a surf reel go with the Visser or the VS or VR 

I really like my Vissers and I have caught fish on them but only light dunking and spray 

i have used a VR150 in the surf and they are great reels and i especially like the VR50 & 75 for light tackle applications and I use them for hard use boat rods. And have landed alot of Stripers , blue fish and reds on them.

i also use a Visser #4 as a boat reel and its also a favorite paired on a Zenaq Foketto Longcast and its awesome on Stripers and Albies 

If I were looking for a reel to reel under water than I would choose the VS its proven. 

If I were looking for a straight up boat reel the Stella’s and the Saltigas as well as the Certate are the ticket with the nod going to the Daiwa stuff

The IRT is very similar to the Accurate. Both have a very coffee grinder feel and while they are both well made they are not a refined as the others imho 

A Visser and a IRT as well as a Saltiga and a Stella are going to Panama with me in a month. The IRT does not have the fastest retrieve so it will be mounted on a 2-4 PE slow pitch rod 

Here is my 5500 DD the day i got it 

2D2F213F-7483-43EB-BDBB-5D9164962B3C.jpe E5720A68-3090-43E9-988D-A9D8127279DD.jpe