Patinthehat

Bed extender

21 posts in this topic

What kind of bed extenders have you all had experience with and liked. The boonedox one looks to be the best for maintaining ground clearance. Just got a truck and have a salty pdl. As an aside if anyone has advice on long load lights for the kayak that would be appreciated. I do a lot of traveling at night. 

The standard $50 Ebay model works great, the tall uprights are very adjustable. It now only gets used for transporting multiple yaks or very long trips.

The Cheap Harbor Freight is rusted, ugly, over 10 years old, left outside and still keeps going. 

Yakima. 

It’s much lighter than the cheap harbor freight and doesn’t rust. It offers the same ground clearance as the Boonedox but can be oriented vertical for a roof rack and has an optional extender 

I have one from Amazon for around $75.  Have had it for about 5 years and still does the job.  Only had to replace a pin that popped out once.  Kayak stays on my truck all season until I need to take it off for whatever reason.  Then back on the truck it goes.

Got a deal on a boonedox, which works great. Otherwise I would’ve went with the Harbor Frieght one.

If length matters; the horror fright model is 36”, verses the 48” of most other extenders.

I have one from Cabelas.  Weighs a ton and will survive the apocalypse.  I really don't need it (or use it) for a 12'er in a 6.5' bed with the gate down.  

The yakima is super light but it also flexes a bit. The steel ones are more rigid. The goal post style uprights are worth it if you are loading in off camber situations, as it keeps the yak from sliding off.  I welded uprights on an older steel one and put LED trailer strip lights on them.

Half ladder racks are great setups if you don't mind drilling some holes...

On 11/7/2022 at 9:14 PM, G8trwood said:

The yakima is super light but it also flexes a bit. The steel ones are more rigid. The goal post style uprights are worth it if you are loading in off camber situations, as it keeps the yak from sliding off.  I welded uprights on an older steel one and put LED trailer strip lights on them.

picture please?!!!