dmac95

kayak vs boat which is better

76 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dmac95 said:

you can launch a 23 mako by yourself in the water?

If I can launch a 20 all over New England by myself every week a 23 would not be a problem. Now the Ranger Tug I want in retirement that would need the lady to help. :shaky:

I have both kayaks and a boat. The benefit of the kayak to me is that it takes no time to get ready. Throw it in or on the truck racks, two rods, a Plano bag and a dry bag and that’s it. No electronics. Takes about two minutes to launch. I see people taking forever at launches setting up gear and electronics for their yaks. Some even have trailers. That makes no sense to me. I’ve been finding this year that casting while sitting in the yak has been hurting my shoulder and it’s really not enjoyable for more than a couple hours. I can boat all day without issues. I think that next year I will mostly stick to the boat. 

On 10/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, Wicked Dan said:

I have been kayak fishing as far back as the early days of KFS.....kayak fished all over this side of the world, including a 90 + lb. yellowfin tuna on my second trip to Christmas Island (1200 miles south of Hawaii)......There is nothing compared to catching fish from a kayak IMO and I  still do it as much as I can...but after 2 spine surgeries ...the hardest part is getting my kayak on top of my "lowest" car as possible, Subaru Outback. ...And I will keep doing as long as physically possible......but after that, before I would ever thing about getting a boat.....I will invest in an all out, set up fishing jet ski.  Something I can take my grandkids and wife out in and not worry about tides and weather as nearly as I do now with the kayak.  It would cost almost as a small boat,  but trailing it and launching it will be so much easier and storing it will be easy in my yard.    I guess I am just not a boat guy,  but a fishing jet ski seems very appealing to me.....after my kayak days are over !!  LOL

Don’t be that guy that’s zooming around on a jet ski chasing albies and annoying everyone else. 

11 mins ago, z-man said:

I have both kayaks and a boat. The benefit of the kayak to me is that it takes no time to get ready. Throw it in or on the truck racks, two rods, a Plano bag and a dry bag and that’s it. No electronics. Takes about two minutes to launch. I see people taking forever at launches setting up gear and electronics for their yaks. Some even have trailers. That makes no sense to me. I’ve been finding this year that casting while sitting in the yak has been hurting my shoulder and it’s really not enjoyable for more than a couple hours. I can boat all day without issues. I think that next year I will mostly stick to the boat. 

Don't know how anyone can take forever to plug in the battery. My shoulders haven't like casting heavy rods a lot for a while, it's nice that trolling and jigging are options. Casting a 1/2 oz on a light rod isn't a problem.

29 mins ago, gellfex said:

Don't know how anyone can take forever to plug in the battery. My shoulders haven't like casting heavy rods a lot for a while, it's nice that trolling and jigging are options. Casting a 1/2 oz on a light rod isn't a problem.

It’s not just the battery. Some guys have a car load of stuff that they mount to or load into their kayaks. They typically do this right in the middle of the boat launch blocking access for everyone else. 

Just now, z-man said:

It’s not just the battery. Some guys have a car load of stuff that they mount to or load into their kayaks. They typically do this right in the middle of the boat launch blocking access for everyone else. 

Gotcha. I put my boat on it's wheels right back of the parked truck, load everything up, and roll into the water. Reverse on takeout, I put it on the cart while still in the water. Great way to not lose anything in the dark! 

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Gotcha. I put my boat on it's wheels right back of the parked truck, load everything up, and roll into the water. Reverse on takeout, I put it on the cart while still in the water. Great way to not lose anything in the dark! 

That's what I do too. Especially if I'm at the launch and I don't need the sand tires (they float and make it hard to get out from under the kayak without getting in the water).

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Don’t be that guy that’s zooming around on a jet ski chasing albies and annoying everyone else. 

The Asian Persuasion Gang Of RI but live in Mass. I get a kick out of the one with the goggles. He must be the leader. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I thought when I got the inflatable that it was going to take me a bit to set up each time ,but the first few times I went out there were multiple guys with “regular” kayaks who were setting up when I rolled up and were still doing it when I was launching. Trust me I love gadgets too, but some of these setups look like miniature battleships.  No judgement, whatever works for them, but I thought that I’d be the guy taking forever.  

3 mins ago, Mmart said:

I thought when I got the inflatable that it was going to take me a bit to set up each time ,but the first few times I went out there were multiple guys with “regular” kayaks who were setting up when I rolled up and were still doing it when I was launching. Trust me I love gadgets too, but some of these setups look like miniature battleships.  No judgement, whatever works for them, but I thought that I’d be the guy taking forever.  

I have a mess of stuff that goes on my kayak, but it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to unload and set everything up. I also don't feel like I can give much of it up.

Certain days I leave some at home, but it doesn't really make it any faster to get on the water.

51 mins ago, Mmart said:

I don’t care if they take forever as long as they are doing it somewhere they aren’t blocking the launch for everyone else. It really drives me crazy when they do it right in the center of the ramp with no consideration for anyone else. 

• 5,000 Post Club!
  •  
  • BST Users
  •  
  • 10,379 posts
  On 10/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, Wicked Dan said:

I have been kayak fishing as far back as the early days of KFS.....kayak fished all over this side of the world, including a 90 + lb. yellowfin tuna on my second trip to Christmas Island (1200 miles south of Hawaii)......There is nothing compared to catching fish from a kayak IMO and I  still do it as much as I can...but after 2 spine surgeries ...the hardest part is getting my kayak on top of my "lowest" car as possible, Subaru Outback. ...And I will keep doing as long as physically possible......but after that, before I would ever thing about getting a boat.....I will invest in an all out, set up fishing jet ski.  Something I can take my grandkids and wife out in and not worry about tides and weather as nearly as I do now with the kayak.  It would cost almost as a small boat,  but trailing it and launching it will be so much easier and storing it will be easy in my yard.    I guess I am just not a boat guy,  but a fishing jet ski seems very appealing to me.....after my kayak days are over !!  LOL

Thanks for your amazing response and a heads up to what I should not be doing if I ever get a jet ski.........After kayak fishing for close to 20 years and putting up with every boat thing on this side of the world...I will be sure to take your advise and "not be on of those guys".....LOL.......SMH.........double LOL......PALEEEEEASE !!  I will be sure not to "Annoy" you.

42 mins ago, Wicked Dan said:
  • 5,000 Post Club!
  •  
  • BST Users
  •  
  • 10,379 posts
  On 10/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, Wicked Dan said:

Thanks for your amazing response and a heads up to what I should not be doing if I ever get a jet ski.........After kayak fishing for close to 20 years and putting up with every boat thing on this side of the world...I will be sure to take your advise and "not be on of those guys".....LOL.......SMH.........double LOL......PALEEEEEASE !!  I will be sure not to "Annoy" you.

It was a joke. Kind of.
Riddler got it. 

2 hours ago, RWP said:

That's what I do too. Especially if I'm at the launch and I don't need the sand tires (they float and make it hard to get out from under the kayak without getting in the water).

I have the Sandtrakz wheels, don't float. And I don't use the scupper, so it's easy to slide the boat on.

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

I have the Sandtrakz wheels, don't float. And I don't use the scupper, so it's easy to slide the boat on.

I have a wilderness cart with both style of wheels. The sand tires I don't use often, but make a world of difference when I launch from the beach.

The airless tires are more like yours, and work perfect for paved launches.