dmac95

kayak vs boat which is better

76 posts in this topic

I don’t think either is better, as mentioned previously in the thread they’re different, and both have distinct advantages and drawbacks. I also think it comes down to what the individual wants to get out of it and other variables such as cost, storage, hauling, etc.  In a perfect world I’d have both.  Having no space in the city has lead me to getting myself an inflatable kayak. I really love the thing, it was instant freedom and it’s nice to not depend on others if I want to get on the water. My latest addition to it is a 1.5hp gas outboard. This motor more than doubled my speed and greatly increased my range over my trolling motor.  So in reality (or at least in my reality) I have a hybrid or a “bo-yak”.  I can strip it down and have a yak to go paddling or take on whitewater, and at the same time I have a tiny boat that can go fish the inlets and back bays.  Of course it can’t do everything, but it does everything I need it to. 
Here it is both stripped down and fully loaded. 

349FF75E-4AC5-4690-AA75-A0339390FBF8.jpeg

64598173-1C29-44F5-8C60-CD80AD214175.jpeg

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Nice. Did that include the charging system and extra batteries? 

If I needed it I would have it. 

Not included. I got two 27 deep cycle batteries for about 90 each and charger was $80 from noco.

I think it’s worth mentioning that a charging station is needed otherwise you end up changing the 12/0v charging lug grip things four times in one day, (that is if you have 2 batteries for trolling motor. 1 for outboard and 1 for accessories)

12 hours ago, Wicked Dan said:

I have been kayak fishing as far back as the early days of KFS.....kayak fished all over this side of the world, including a 90 + lb. yellowfin tuna on my second trip to Christmas Island (1200 miles south of Hawaii)......There is nothing compared to catching fish from a kayak IMO and I  still do it as much as I can...but after 2 spine surgeries ...the hardest part is getting my kayak on top of my "lowest" car as possible, Subaru Outback. ...And I will keep doing as long as physically possible......but after that, before I would ever thing about getting a boat.....I will invest in an all out, set up fishing jet ski.  Something I can take my grandkids and wife out in and not worry about tides and weather as nearly as I do now with the kayak.  It would cost almost as a small boat,  but trailing it and launching it will be so much easier and storing it will be easy in my yard.    I guess I am just not a boat guy,  but a fishing jet ski seems very appealing to me.....after my kayak days are over !!  LOL

Another option to a jet ski would be a rigged-up solo skiff.  For less than half the price of a jet ski, you could have a platform that goes 15 mph with a 6hp outboard and rig up a spot lock on the front.  I priced out a solo skiff, outboard, spot lock and trailer for under $8K.  Now that didn't include batterie or a ff, but you get the idea.

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, atv223 said:

Another option to a jet ski would be a rigged-up solo skiff.  For less than half the price of a jet ski, you could have a platform that goes 15 mph with a 6hp outboard and rig up a spot lock on the front.  I priced out a solo skiff, outboard, spot lock and trailer for under $8K.  Now that didn't include batterie or a ff, but you get the idea.

The company that makes my kayak (SeaEagle) makes a fishing skiff as well. It’s a possibility for me in the future. I went with the kayak because I can inflate it in my small city yard if I need to because it’s just under 12’. The skiff they offer is 16’ with a 4’ beam and can take an outboard up to 60lbs which puts you into the 4-6hp motor class plus the ability to use a bow mount TM. The skiff/motor package I looked at was under $4G (TM not included). You can mount 3 swivel seats to the deck but I think more than 2 would be crowded. I pack light to use the kayak and it still feels like a lot. 

Edited by Mmart

15 mins ago, Mmart said:

The company that makes my kayak (SeaEagle) makes a fishing skiff as well. It’s a possibility for me in the future. I went with the kayak because I can inflate it in my small city yard if I need to because it’s just under 12’. The skiff they offer is 16’ with a 4’ beam and can take an outboard up to 60lbs which puts you into the 4-6hp motor class plus the ability to use a bow mount TM. The skiff/motor package I looked at was under $4G (TM not included). You can mount 3 swivel seats to the deck but I think more than 2 would be crowded. I pack light to use the kayak and it still feels like a lot. 

Too much money for what you get imo.

my uncle has one of these inflatables. It’s not what most people expect. I’d say kayak is by a far stretch, better - that is if storage is an issue.

I tried many kayaks and found the older outback to be the best fishing solo platform. Only wish it had a trolling motor w/ spot lock install option.

11 hours ago, Mmart said:

My latest addition to it is a 1.5hp gas outboard. 

In Massachusetts, putting so much as a trolling motor on any vessel means it has to be registered. 

45 mins ago, dmac95 said:

Too much money for what you get imo.

my uncle has one of these inflatables. It’s not what most people expect. I’d say kayak is by a far stretch, better - that is if storage is an issue.

I tried many kayaks and found the older outback to be the best fishing solo platform. Only wish it had a trolling motor w/ spot lock install option.

Well $4G is still cheaper than say a Carolina Skiff J series and you can roll it up at the end of the day. So it all depends on what someone needs I guess.  I’m not sure what you mean about it not being what people expect it to be. 

11 mins ago, ermghoti said:

In Massachusetts, putting so much as a trolling motor on any vessel means it has to be registered. 

Same goes for PA and NJ, PA reg is $26 I think for a year.  It’s required for anything over 16’ regardless of propulsion and for anything under 16’ with a motor. 

31 mins ago, Mmart said:

Well $4G is still cheaper than say a Carolina Skiff J series and you can roll it up at the end of the day. So it all depends on what someone needs I guess.  I’m not sure what you mean about it not being what people expect it to be. 

Same goes for PA and NJ, PA reg is $26 I think for a year.  It’s required for anything over 16’ regardless of propulsion and for anything under 16’ with a motor. 

Inflatable boats are sort of a hybrid of the kayaking/boating and take the most to setup and clean I imagine. 

1 hour ago, dmac95 said:

my uncle has one of these inflatables. It’s not what most people expect. I’d say kayak is by a far stretch, better

My bud has the Seaeagle 350xl and that boat is bad to the bone. My perception touring yak would beat it in a paddling race but that is the only upside.  

My Nucanoe Flint is my fishing platform, thou and the Seaeagle is superior- 15#  lighter, more stability and 200# more capacity.

He rarely deflates it, It's too easy to car top.

I want to make a point of information on boats. You don't need two boats to get in skinny or bay water. You have to buy the right boat same with the kayak. Modified vee or full deep vee is what I buy. My 16' Mirrocraft was 300 dollars used. All in with a brand new 20hp tiller motor with electric start? I am under 5k. This is more fun than the other 3 boats I bought. I am not 16 miles out and moderate seas for tuna. I am in the bays and skinny for what I like. 

53A15A85-1922-47D0-988C-24935FF2E670.jpeg

9 mins ago, dmac95 said:

Inflatable boats are sort of a hybrid of the kayaking/boating and take the most to setup and clean I imagine. 

Oh ok, in that case you’re 100% correct, when I fish the surf my “setup” time consists of me putting on waders and figuring out where I’m putting my spike. When I take the boat I have to factor in time before and after for set up and tear down. First trip took me much longer but with repetition, and my best friend the electric air pump, it’s gotten much quicker.  I have the whole thing coated with a marine grade protectant so I towel it down and at least get any sand off of it before I deflate it and then I clean it at home. 
I agree with the “hybrid” comment, I didn’t expect it to be as versatile as it is. 

Posted (edited)

Boat is better and it isn't even close. 

For many years I had my 23 Mako in a slip about 150 yards from my house.  I'd come home from work, grab the keys and a couple of rods and go.

I have two kayaks and live about 200 yards from a very nice public launch spot.  I have to let the wind and tide determine when and where I go from there.  Hardly used them at all this year.

I fished so much more with the boat in a slip.  If gas would go back to reasonble prices I'd put the boat back in the slip.  As it stands right now it would cost a kayak to fill the fuel tank.

Been thinking of getting rid of the Mako and the kayaks and just getting a Gheenoe or a small flats boat like a SouthDade Skiff.

Edited by mako capt

2 hours ago, mako capt said:

Boat is better and it isn't even close. 

For many years I had my 23 Mako in a slip about 150 yards from my house.  I'd come home from work, grab the keys and a couple of rods and go.

I have two kayaks and live about 200 yards from a very nice public launch spot.  I have to let the wind and tide determine when and where I go from there.  Hardly used them at all this year.

I fished so much more with the boat in a slip.  If gas would go back to reasonble prices I'd put the boat back in the slip.  As it stands right now it would cost a kayak to fill the fuel tank.

Been thinking of getting rid of the Mako and the kayaks and just getting a Gheenoe or a small flats boat like a SouthDade Skiff.

you can launch a 23 mako by yourself in the water?