dmac95

kayak vs boat which is better

76 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, dmac95 said:

I hate standing all day as much as sitting all day though...

But you can do both on a boat.  Way harder to stand up in a kayak.

41 mins ago, ermghoti said:

but trying to claim it's "better" than a boat is like claiming a fly rod is better than a spinning rod.

Not a bad comparison. Different tool, different experience. Try telling a flyfisher he'd catch more with a spinner! I bet you'll hear some naughty words.

The kayak is a cheap way to get on the water.  Other than the rare case of some water that you just can't get to in a boat, cheap is about where the advantages of the kayak end.

With that said, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment and a lot of fish out of a used kayak that cost me $600 about 12 years ago, with no additional costs or any kind of maintenance chores ever since... I don't even wash the thing.  That's not too shabby.

As has been stated, they are 2 different animals, they both happen to float in the water. Most kayak owners either have a boat or want a boat, most boat owners don't want a kayak, nuff' said and thats just my experience and opinion. 

Boats are headaches, thats understood, but they offer many more conveniences and comforts than a yak. I wouldn't buy anything without cover or a head or at minimum a portable crapper. 

If your young and just want to fish, have local access to good waters and not spend a fortune a yak may be for you. If you want to have others (friends, mate)  involved, and don't mind the cost, the boats the ticket.

Personally, I've owned both, I'm out of business. :)

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

My back injury set me back in my kayak fishing career. If you get Sciatica and spreads down the leg  to the calf and toe it is unbelievable nerve pain. Would not wish it on anyone. Nerve pain is in another world. 

I feel your pain - literally. 

Never caught as many stripers  from my boat as I did kayaking.  It’s different and more physically challenging.  You have to think it out ahead of time.  I took the kayak into rock gardens I’d never take the boat into.   Getting towed is exhilarating.   Other species like tuna and FA are an addiction for which boats are required to have reasonably good results.  

16 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Most kayak owners either have a boat or want a boat, most boat owners don't want a kayak, nuff' said and thats just my experience and opinion.

I don't know about "most". There's a lot of die hard kayak anglers out there.

A kayak is a bicycle.  A boat is a pick-up truck.  Both can be enjoyable.

48 mins ago, OPE said:

I feel your pain - literally. 

I don't miss that charlie horse. I almost committed suicide over it. Many people have committed suicide over it. Valium has been shown to dull the man. You get addicted to it but you are still alive and you can detox off it. 

My buddy has kayaks and a 22ft CC with all the electronics, including spot lock.  We regularly fish together out of kayaks or his boat.  Neither is "better".

I personally enjoy catching fish way more out of the kayak.  You can't even compare the trill of catching an albie in a kayak to catching one in a boat.  You are far more intimate with the water and nature, no noise or gas.  The kayak's down fall is range and conditions you can fish in. The kayak has the advantage of versatility.  Lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, bays, estuaries and open ocean.  All fish-able out of the kayak.

I have a 2 hour drive to fish salt water, so unfortunately, I don't get out as much as I want so the value the kayak provides is fantastic for me.  If I lived closer the water, I may consider a boat, but for now the cost vs. utilization would just be too high for me.  I'm grateful my buddy has the boat and that he takes me with him

56 mins ago, RWP said:

I don't know about "most". There's a lot of die hard kayak anglers out there.

Agreed, how about "many" or "some"? :)

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Not a bad comparison. Different tool, different experience. Try telling a flyfisher he'd catch more with a spinner! I bet you'll hear some naughty words.

Very likely! You'd also probably be right. Like said above though, the experience can be more gratifying even with the limited success.

Kind of like fishing from a boat or from shore....

I have been kayak fishing as far back as the early days of KFS.....kayak fished all over this side of the world, including a 90 + lb. yellowfin tuna on my second trip to Christmas Island (1200 miles south of Hawaii)......There is nothing compared to catching fish from a kayak IMO and I  still do it as much as I can...but after 2 spine surgeries ...the hardest part is getting my kayak on top of my "lowest" car as possible, Subaru Outback. ...And I will keep doing as long as physically possible......but after that, before I would ever thing about getting a boat.....I will invest in an all out, set up fishing jet ski.  Something I can take my grandkids and wife out in and not worry about tides and weather as nearly as I do now with the kayak.  It would cost almost as a small boat,  but trailing it and launching it will be so much easier and storing it will be easy in my yard.    I guess I am just not a boat guy,  but a fishing jet ski seems very appealing to me.....after my kayak days are over !!  LOL

Posted (edited)

56 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Very likely! You'd also probably be right. Like said above though, the experience can be more gratifying even with the limited success.

Kind of like fishing from a boat or from shore....

Exactly. There's plenty of guys on SOL who have a boat, or could afford it, who still choose to walk sand. John Skinner has a boat and a spotlock enabled kayak, and still walks the beach.

Edited by gellfex