dmac95

kayak vs boat which is better

76 posts in this topic

Had 2 hobies prior, now have a 18 cc. 

People say boats are more headaches - maybe, but I've had my fair share of headaches with kayaks too. I've always thought he best situation for fishing is pulling up to your spot (foot or water) and dropping straight down, hooking onto a fish, and pulling it up. The catch is that there can't be 50 people stacked up next to you like in Demo Pt. so we're most likely talking about boating/kayaking in LI/LI Sound area. 

I'm thinking one of THE best fishing kayaks would be a 2015-2018 hobie outback with a spot lock minn kota integrated. If battery goes out, switch to pedals. The Hobie PA is too heavy to carry, and autopilot while has it stock - might be unstable if i see how high people sit on it. I've used an outback for 4 years, and am super pleased with it's stabilitiy - just I fish heavy current areas and its tough to. "spot lock"  without minn kota.

II did say I have a boat. It's not as easy on my gas mileage as a yak, but can take family out on it. Just 1 issue -  if I just go by myself, it's a hassle. Pack everythng into car, trailer it ( as opposed to roof top packing a kayak), reversing into water, tying boat so it doesnt float away, driving up to a parking spot, walking back to boat, and only then taking off. Then on way back it's worse because I have to wash it for 5 minutes. - Not complaining, but compared to a kayak, I spend about 20 - 30 more minutes per outing getting ready. Don't forget about charging batteries the entire day before.

How do people do it? Is anyone here a current yaker - previous boater? 

Kayaks are in general better if you are in good health. You can buy one kayak and take it anywhere. You would need 2 boats for small freshwater and bay. Storage is a huge plus too, more room in garage for other hobbies. You can have any car you want with a roof rack, no need for trailer and tow vehicle. Insurance, boating license, registration for boat and trailer adds up over the years. 

I used to do both and almost always fished alone when I owned the boat.  Launching and loading was easy for me once I had the routine down. I hate kayak fishing as I don't like sitting down all day and fighting fish from a sitting position.  Plus I fly fish and casting from the yak was a challenge as well.  With the boat, I could cover way more water and be way more comfortable..

Each have their own pros/cons, but in most cases the expanded range and comfort offered by a boat wins out.  I do fish several spots that can only be accesses via yak, so there's that too.

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

I used to do both and almost always fished alone when I owned the boat.  Launching and loading was easy for me once I had the routine down. I hate kayak fishing as I don't like sitting down all day and fighting fish from a sitting position.  Plus I fly fish and casting from the yak was a challenge as well.  With the boat, I could cover way more water and be way more comfortable..

I hate standing all day as much as sitting all day though...

There's far too many variables to make blanket statements. not only are the 2 choices different, even among kayaks & kayakers there's vast differences. Some guys roll light: no electronics, pedals or motors, just a rod or 2 and a tackle box. Throw it in the water and go. Others roll heavy, we've laughed at some pics of absurdly tricked out kayaks, remember that one for sale for like $6k? Most are somewhere in between.

Everyone does what's right for them. Telling a kayaker a boat is better misses the point, it's like telling a cyclist cars are better. It depends on what kind of experience you're after, and the time & resources you're willing to put towards that. There's millionaires who like to bicycle, its not just getting from point A to point B.

My back injury set me back in my kayak fishing career. If you get Sciatica and spreads down the leg  to the calf and toe it is unbelievable nerve pain. Would not wish it on anyone. Nerve pain is in another world. 

I kayak fished twice this past season and about 12 times since my Laminectomy of the back in 2020. I feel like my back is healing in some ways. Sitting in recumbent bike style in the Hobie puts pressure on the disc and I get that toe numbness. My time in the kayak has been reduced to 2-3 hours max.

With that being said I bought a boat years back while I had a kayak just too get some time in. Started with a Wellcraft 17, Maritime Skiff 18, to a Northcoast 20 deep vee. Sold the Northcoast for 10,000 dollars more than I paid for it and got 4 seasons of use. Got rid of it because of the price of fuel. Now I have a 14  and a 16  Deep Vee Tinny by Mirrocraft. Bought both as project boats, stripped all the wood out and built one with simple pvc deck and the 16 built out of Aluminum stringers and diamond plate deck. Light weight can fish at night on most trips with one gallon or less. Put a brand new 2022 Tohatsu 20hp on it and I got a nice seaworthy ride capable of going 24mph. Fishing on the cheap!   With the Striped Bass seemingly huddling together on any spot in my local sometimes having the boat can mean the difference between fish and no fish. I can also recon and find out what the fish are doing that week and relay that helpful info to people I know and possibly get my kayak in on it. So a boat can be a useful tool.  I don't have one better than the other. Sometimes I fish from shore and can get the same quality of fish. Sometimes the shore will out fish any other method out there. Especially when there are grey seals around.,

3 hours ago, dmac95 said:

Had 2 hobies prior, now have a 18 cc. 

People say boats are more headaches - maybe, but I've had my fair share of headaches with kayaks too. I've always thought he best situation for fishing is pulling up to your spot (foot or water) and dropping straight down, hooking onto a fish, and pulling it up. The catch is that there can't be 50 people stacked up next to you like in Demo Pt. so we're most likely talking about boating/kayaking in LI/LI Sound area. 

I'm thinking one of THE best fishing kayaks would be a 2015-2018 hobie outback with a spot lock minn kota integrated. If battery goes out, switch to pedals. The Hobie PA is too heavy to carry, and autopilot while has it stock - might be unstable if i see how high people sit on it. I've used an outback for 4 years, and am super pleased with it's stabilitiy - just I fish heavy current areas and its tough to. "spot lock"  without minn kota.

II did say I have a boat. It's not as easy on my gas mileage as a yak, but can take family out on it. Just 1 issue -  if I just go by myself, it's a hassle. Pack everythng into car, trailer it ( as opposed to roof top packing a kayak), reversing into water, tying boat so it doesnt float away, driving up to a parking spot, walking back to boat, and only then taking off. Then on way back it's worse because I have to wash it for 5 minutes. - Not complaining, but compared to a kayak, I spend about 20 - 30 more minutes per outing getting ready. Don't forget about charging batteries the entire day before.

How do people do it? Is anyone here a current yaker - previous boater? 

I like your post about spotlock. There is one area I fish spotlock has a distinct advantage and its such a small window for a brief time of the year I couldn't justify spending 2800 to install one on the Tinny. 
Great tool though, used it a couple of times. For the  moving water crowd where  staying in an area is impossible without drifting away its a game changer. 

6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I like your post about spotlock. There is one area I fish spotlock has a distinct advantage and its such a small window for a brief time of the year I couldn't justify spending 2800 to install one on the Tinny. 
Great tool though, used it a couple of times. For the  moving water crowd where  staying in an area is impossible without drifting away its a game changer. 

I believe I paid ~2.2 for the 80 lb thrust on my boat. It's so worth it.

1 hour ago, dmac95 said:

I believe I paid ~2.2 for the 80 lb thrust on my boat. It's so worth it.

Nice. Did that include the charging system and extra batteries? 

If I needed it I would have it. 

Posted (edited)

It depends....

I run a Parker 2520XL and a Wilderness 16i.

Edited by bass-o-matic

I've had a kayak a couple years. After seeing days off accumulate when wind and wave reports kept me home, I bought an aluminum skiff. Makes a big difference on the ride home, after spending the time on the water rather than in the water, in addition to expanding the season.

Solo launching, I reached the exact opposite conclusion as you; dragging a kayak from a parking spot, across the beach, and back is so much more effort than backing down a ramp and trying off I can't even calculate the multiplier. I'm in an SUV as well, so rather than hucking the yak into the bed, I am faced with the dicey task of military pressing the hull on and off a rack above eye level.

The kayak obviously has a cost and stealth advantage, and can go skinnier, but traveling at 28-30mph simply gives you far more targets.

There's also the stowage issue. A kayak holds about as much as a backpack. Throwing a half dozen rods, a mini-fridge sized tackle box, a cooler, a livewell, and a net on even a 14' skiff is a given.

I like the 'yak a lot, but trying to claim it's "better" than a boat is like claiming a fly rod is better than a spinning rod.