plt391

Visser reel

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, plt391 said:

Trying this again I would appreciate info on visser reels any who had been using it. Any feedback thanks 

I have a #5 that I have been using since the spring...not exclusively but pretty often. I think its great. The faster line retrieve is super nice compared to my 150 (which I still love). I took on a bunch of sand today in the surf and I dunked it to get the sand out. Seems perfectly fine. I always rinse my stuff down after use so I dont think there should be any issues but who knows. Feels super solid and still super tight but it has only been about a season with it so time will tell. I did recently add some oil on the main shaft and some cleaned the bearings in the handle part that attaches to the reel. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Keep in mind this is just me....Good Luck

Ive had the 6 since it came out 

i used it exclusively the first year with little issues but one ! One night drifting big sluggos in a inlet out going tide i hooked into a decent fish i could not reel the fish in pumping the rod and tried to crank the reel it did not have the capability to reel this fish in . I had to walk backwards to get the fish in . Was not easy task in this current . But other than that i switched back to my vs 150 and i use the visser very little . I think its a decent reel but not the type of reel i thought it could be! 

1 hour ago, plt391 said:

Thanks for reply sounds positive. Hopefully I’ll get more info again thanks 

Of course...I always appreciated help from the older guys if I could pass it on why not. Try keeping an eye on the facebook groups. Sometimes guys give these things away. I paid less than $500 for mine it was sealed in the box. I would do it agai, but...there are a bunch of super nice vsx reels that are for sale for just a bit more. Just a thought..

There’s another guy on here that had a problem with his visser reel!

Said he went fishing and it was the only one he had with him and it broke on him while fishing!

I’ll see if I can find it for you!

EA

Out of curiosity I bought one. After 1 30lb class fish in heavy current it was leaking gear lube. I bought a mechanical vacuum pump and will isolate the issue after deer season. 

I have 3 of them a #4,#7 and #8

i have used th 7,8 in the surf and the #4 as a boat reel 

the #4 has taken a lot of good Stripers and Albie’s but not been submerged 

the 7 and 8 have been used in the surf and mildly dunked 

all are working well and I really like them 

I am taking the 8 to Panama on a light Zanaq stick bait rod in a month so that should hopefully test the drag 

On 10/28/2022 at 7:08 AM, ged said:

Out of curiosity I bought one. After 1 30lb class fish in heavy current it was leaking gear lube. I bought a mechanical vacuum pump and will isolate the issue after deer season. 

I love my gen 2 visser, going fishing with it right now. 

Line roller is shot in my replacment gen 2 now. Had to swap spools from my gen 1 due to an interference issue which I immediately pointed out to robert. He said he addressed it, several months down the road as person incthe FB page had the same interference issue. The gen 1’s are still on shelves at the store as well, and there was a link to the guys post in this thread where it (his gen 1) broke on him. Apparently the drag clicker backing out and loosening was his issue. 

All in all it seems to me the visser is a hit and miss purchase. You get a good one or you get a dud. 

And I am definitely feeling fear lube on my hands when I’m fishing in the surf. Fish or no fish, seems to be happening on mine when it’s getting blasted by waves. I did however get it serviced at a reel shop knowing that it was the guys first experience with that reel in particular at the beginning of this season. So I can’t say that a leaking seal is of any fault to visser or the shop that I took it in for a service. Leaking seal is my fault if that’s  even what it is, fo all i know it could be some residual grease on the exterior. I haven’t really paid all that much attention to it. I’ve been foshing it really hard and it has been holding up. Drag is great, torque is great, line roller still works…loudly, and it’s my go to reel for the surf.